EasyFlow 9000 Ink Refills...reasonable cost?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I am looking to replace all the inks in my ballpoints (at least those that can accept) with EasyFlow 9000 inks. I've found that the inks that come with the pens are often rather scratchy, and the pens don't write smoothly. Often enough, the cap or little gel cover on the nib that is supposed to keep the ink dry is missing or fallen off. I'd like to set my pens apart by making sure every single one glides across the paper every time when the buyer writes with it.

I'm curious, though, what a reasonable cost for an EasyFlow 9000 Ink refill is? I've found small packs, 3 or 6, that range in price per refill from about $1.96 to almost $2.50 each. If I do this with every pen, that could potentially be a LOT of refills in the long run (I've filled two moderately sized cases with pens at this point, and will probably fill a third within the next month, at which point I am planning to open a store). I'm just wondering what a truly reasonable cost would be for these refills. I was looking for bulk options, but the largest bundles I've found so far are the 6 packs. Those get down to just under two dollars each, but I'm wondering if I could find them closer to a dollar each?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

EasyFlow . . . I believe that may be a Schmidt name.

Have a look at ExoticBlanks.

Here's a recent reference thread on ballpoint refills :-

MRDucks2

You should be able to find them for around $1.80-$1.85 most of the time with some quantity. I have seen them as low as $1.65.

Not sure you will ever hit $1.00/refill. You would likely be looking at dealer quantity/pricing for that and not you could get that low.

I have tried one of Ed from Exotic Blanks tricks during our trial at shows last fall and leave the standard refill in until I get someone interested in a pen, the switch the refill and have them write with it. They will make funny little noises like when eating something very good and buy a pen.

Cuts down on the number of refills I have to have on hand.

jrista

Thanks, guys. I checked EB, and it does look like its a bit lower cost there. I could buy a ton, and get it pretty low, and at some point I may do that if volume warrants it. For now, I think I'm going to buy 10 of each black and blue.

It would be great to sell pens in-person, but I don't think I will be able to do that. I have a day job that consumes most of my time, evenings and weekends where I turn, so for the time being, I'll just be selling on an Etsy store. So I won't really have the opportunity to SHOW my customers the improvement. ;) I guess I could leave the original refills in, and just include an extra of the color of the buyer's choosing, and they could then see for themselves. I could include a little note cars that offers trying out the initial refill, then switching to the EasyFlow or something, I guess.

jttheclockman

Thanks, guys. I checked EB, and it does look like its a bit lower cost there. I could buy a ton, and get it pretty low, and at some point I may do that if volume warrants it. For now, I think I'm going to buy 10 of each black and blue.

It would be great to sell pens in-person, but I don't think I will be able to do that. I have a day job that consumes most of my time, evenings and weekends where I turn, so for the time being, I'll just be selling on an Etsy store. So I won't really have the opportunity to SHOW my customers the improvement. ;) I guess I could leave the original refills in, and just include an extra of the color of the buyer's choosing, and they could then see for themselves. I could include a little note cars that offers trying out the initial refill, then switching to the EasyFlow or something, I guess.
As with any selling points just up the selling price to cover the refill. If you are doing a sales ad make sure you say something on the lines the pen has been upgraded to include a higher quality refill. Words make them work for you.

jrista

Ordered 40 from EB. ATM they seem to have the best price. I have a customer who is ordering a batch of pens that they will be giving away, and they wanted both a black and blue refill for each pen, and decided to pay a couple bucks extra per pen to get the extra refills. The shipping pushed the price per refill up to $2.30 ea. I think in the future, I may just have to order a couple hundred of each, to minimize the effect that the shipping cost has on the cost of each refill.

mmayo

I buy lots of Easy Flow 9000 from Ed. We include them with each pen that uses a "Parker" style refill. We sell them for $4 too briskly.

The usual customer response to the Schmidt product is "oh wow".

Top Bottom