Easy peasy...Well a bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

I watched a video of Alan Carter on Youtube the other day and decided to try my hand at one of his suspended vessels. So, without further preamble, here tis. Comments and crits welcome of course.

Vessel is Buckeye burl, cap and finial are maple and mahogany respectively. The base is redwood burl.

Thanks everyone.

Also did a couple of wine stems for the farmers market table. The stem is claro walnut. Need more though.

Suspended form buckeye burl 1.jpg Wine glass walnut 1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

On the wine stems, how are you securing the glass to the stem? Assuming its glue / epoxy, can you see it through the glass?

Thanks. Good stuff!

plantman

:bananen_smilies046:Great craftsmanship Larry. Your display looks like something out of an old Chinese temple. Fantastic looking burl. Great job on the wine glass also. Jim S

ldubia

On the wine stems, how are you securing the glass to the stem? Assuming its glue / epoxy, can you see it through the glass?

The adhesive I used in the wine stems is E6000. I spread it around the sides of the stem and push the wine glass into it. I can not see it through the glass.

Thanks. Good stuff!

Nice work Larry! The suspended vessel is a piece of art! How long does it take you complete something like that?

The suspended vessel took me several hours to do. I made several mistyakes on the sides and had to do them a few times. Normally it would have taken me a lot less time but the vessel broke free from the lathe with a 11/2 stem in the chuck. The wood was green and it broke the bottom off before i could finish the inside. So the majority of the time on the vessel was hand carving it and hand sanding to shape. Not much fun there. The top is glued on so you can't open it and see the less than stellar hollowing job. Better next time. As they say, all turning is practice turning.

That suspended vessel is outstanding. I'd also like to know how long it takes to make something like that.

Too long first time out. (See above spiel.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom