Each thing we make and imagine is different.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy

This little note is in response to an email I got. The person wanted to know if I would mind if he copied and or modified one of my desk sets. I said no problem copy away and post your results. Then he said something odd.

The gist of it was he was all excited that he had “discovered†something new. But was afraid to post some of his original ideas for fear of being told he copied someone else or that someone would say so and so did the same thing years ago so it’s not a new or original idea, therefore taking all the fun out of it.

So I thought,that's wrong, what if there are more folks are out there thinking that. Its not the right thing to think, so here is my answer.

Each and every piece of work created by you/me/us is totally different than any other work made by someone else. If ten people try to copy a pen, there will be ten different variations of it.

If you discover something and someone says “no you didn’t, Moses did it 400 years ago†there wrong. You did discover it with your own creative process, be proud.

There are no rules, there is no right or wrong way, and more importantly there are no experts here qualified to judge your work. The only judge of your work is you and a few other folks. Ill get to them in a bit.

All your hearing on this forum is personal opinions, just like this little note. Some will agree with it, some will call it hogwash.

One guy will say “ya know bottle stoppers suck , there a useless waste of time, I cant sell any so don’t waste your time with them. Two seconds latter someone pops up “well I sell ten thousand in a day, there great for me, you don’t know what you’re doingâ€.

Then the fights begin, type of finish, type of wood, type of style, on and on and on.

If you post your stuff and ask for opinions you will get all the responses human nature can give. Some are trying to help you, some are trying to put you down. Don’t let someone’s bad day or insecurities take your fun away.

If you have an idea try it don’t listen to us say “oh its not going workâ€. Good thing Columbus didn’t listen to all the folks saying the world was flat.

So who should you listen too, who are those other folks. The ones you need to listen to are the ones who receive your creations. Could be friends or customers doesn’t matter.

If a customer says “ya know I don’t like that pen you made with all the bumps and round things, can you do one with out them†Your answer “ya know I agree with you I don’t like the bumps and round things either, sure I can make one.â€

If a customer says†ya know I don’t like that pen you made it’s too smooth, can you do one with bumps and round things†Your answer “ya know I agree with you I don’t like the smooth pen either, sure I can make you one.â€

If a friend says “gee you made that, I bet that would look great in pink, yellow and a bit of purpleâ€
Now you know what to make them for a present.

There’s maybe one more group to listen to.
If the 15 remaining members of the 20 member bomb squad say “don’t cut the red wire†you might want to listen.

There is a great deal of talent, imagination and an honest desire to help you from most of the folks here, postyour ideas, post your creations, tell us what you have “discovered†. WE will all learn from your post.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Pete,

Good one.

We all share ideas/knowledge here. Most of us who talk/type a lot, share something that is not ours originally but passed on by others who shared them to us.

Take Fangar's finishing style...he shared it (unselfishly) but I made my own version from it (as well as others like Russ, etc.). Is mine better? I doubt it but it works for me and by modifying it...it became mine.

TBone

Nice post Pete. I personally don't care if 15 people did it 5 years ago. I didn't get to see the pic of it and I enjoy looking at the ideas and the mistakes. I learn a little from both

tipusnr

Personally, I doubt if I've ever had an original idea in my life! Everything I've done or tried to do is based on something I've heard, seen, read, or misapplied. Still I'm not gonna let that stop me from having fun and getting excited trying something I've never, personally, tried before.

I really enjoyed reading your posting Pete. Most of the reason I come here is to see what others have done and I really appreciate the comments, good and bad, I've gotten from my postings in the past. I hope everyone takes your advice to heart and keeps on posting and experimenting.

ilikewood

I think that the whole problem comes when someone says, "Look what new idea I created" and tries to take ownership of that idea. Someone who may have done it before may get offended (and rightly so).

It is up to the group to give that ownership to that person. Fangar told how he finished his pens and shared it with us. He never said "this is Fangars finish", the group gave him that title. How about Yoyospins (Ed's) style of pens. He didn't come out and say this is my style and I invented it. The group said from observation, "that's Ed's style".

If you think you have a great new idea, POST IT, and let the group decide whether or not we can call it "theirs". Ownership of an idea is like a patent....it has to be checked with past inventions to see if it is original or not.

If you did come up with something fantastic and new and find out it's been done before....as Pete said, don't be ashamed because you did use your own brain to come up with the idea and didn't copy it. Your own creativity is just getting going!![8D]

Penmonkey

200612417645_goodpost.gif

TBone

I hope nothing I ever say on this forum would cause someone to even hesitate to post one of their ideas or their mistakes. It's all about enjoying what you're doing. Like Pete said, even if you did copy something, it's new to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom