Dyes and Powders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimV

Need some help casting Alumilite clear. can you use both dyes and powder at the same time? How can you keep the colors from mixing to much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Are you asking about dye powder (soluble) or mica powder (non-soluble)?
You can freely mix liquid dye and mica powders to give a colored iridescent blank.
If you want to mix a powdered dye and a liquid dye, don't really know as I've not tried it, but I don't see why not.
If you want a swirled blank with several colors that are not mixed, then prepare your resin and mix it well, then add your dye just before pouring; or you can pour into your mold, add dye, and use a little stick or toothpick to partially mix. You can also prepare separate cups of resin, each with a different color, and then mix them while pouring, or pour one cup into the mold and then add the next colored cup of resin (pouring slowly to minimize mixing. You can pretty much do whatever you want in this regard, there aren't too many rules, your imagination is the limit as long as your follow directions for the resin.
There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do this in different ways.

TimV

Are you asking about dye powder (soluble) or mica powder (non-soluble)?
You can freely mix liquid dye and mica powders to give a colored iridescent blank.
If you want to mix a powdered dye and a liquid dye, don't really know as I've not tried it, but I don't see why not.
If you want a swirled blank with several colors that are not mixed, then prepare your resin and mix it well, then add your dye just before pouring; or you can pour into your mold, add dye, and use a little stick or toothpick to partially mix. You can also prepare separate cups of resin, each with a different color, and then mix them while pouring, or pour one cup into the mold and then add the next colored cup of resin (pouring slowly to minimize mixing. You can pretty much do whatever you want in this regard, there aren't too many rules, your imagination is the limit as long as your follow directions for the resin.
There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do this in different ways.
Thanks for the reply. I've also heard from Zac at NV woodwerks he suggested to let the resin heat to between 95 and 125 before pouring.

PBorowick

Tim, I just cast two 1.75x1.75x6 blocks yesterday using Zacs temp method. Worked fairly well but I'm still learning. I had really good separation but I may have over mixed it a bit.
This is Alumalite Clear with mica powders. I have mixed alcohol inks into resin with the micas with success.

Attachments

• 20191110_204022.jpg
    20191110_204022.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 20191110_204003.jpg
    20191110_204003.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

PBorowick

These are destined for Christmas ornaments. My daughters picked out the colors and help me mix them.
Yes, proper safety protection was worn by all. I'm just a bit of a stickler about that.

Bob F

yes you can use dyes and powders together as long as the dyes are not water based --alumilite makes great dyes that work wonderful for casting , just be aware that a little dye goes along ways , and by a little i mean a drop or less and then add more as needed , usually a max of 3 or 4 drops depending in how big a pour you are doing

TimV

Tim, I just cast two 1.75x1.75x6 blocks yesterday using Zacs temp method. Worked fairly well but I'm still learning. I had really good separation but I may have over mixed it a bit.
This is Alumalite Clear with mica powders. I have mixed alcohol inks into resin with the micas with success.
nice.

Top Bottom