Dust Collection - wet wood at Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Saw someone else post about dust collection but didn't want to pollute his thread so will ask here. What do you when you are cutting "wet" wood at the band saw and the ribbons get clogged in the grate before it goes into the dust collection pipe? I was cutting some ash up last weekend and kept having to stop the band saw so that I could clear out the ribbons from the grate.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SkookumPens

cutting wet wood.

I have just stopped and cleaned out the hose. I usually do not do it until I have finished cutting the wood. (I really should check sooner.)

Craig Chatterton
Puyallup, WA

rjwolfe3

Thanks, wasn't sure if maybe people cut the grate out and then add one of the separators or maybe add another hose to the band saw housing to pick up the big stuff. I am worried about something getting caught and snapping my blade again.

Wildman

I do not use dust collecter on freshly cut wood. Because hate cleaning the blade after cutting fresh wood usually wait a month or two before cutting wet wood.

I clog dust collector after roughing out bowls on the lathe, nomally have stop DC and clear more than once.

rjwolfe3

I do not use dust collecter on freshly cut wood. Because hate cleaning the blade after cutting fresh wood usually wait a month or two before cutting wet wood.

I clog dust collector after roughing out bowls on the lathe, nomally have stop DC and clear more than once.

So you don't rough your bowl blanks on band saw before turning? I noticed that most bowl turning videos show the blanks being cut round on a band saw and I just assumed it was the normal thing to do.

Wildman

Rjwolf3, depends upon bowl blank, size species and EMC. Even with using cooking spray 3 TPI hook blade gets gummed up on some species of wet wood.
I am good with either my gas or electric chain saw. Small blanks different story use the bandsaw. Still do not use the DC if wood is wet. Shop vac, after cutting really wet wood works well.

When roughing wet bowls or turning wet spindles on lathe do not use DC. Wait until finished, and sweep shavings up. I always use DC when working with wood that has reached EMC, especially during sanding on the lathe.

The bowl in the tree did use the band saw to trim off waste. Wood was on the ground for over a year. A catch landed that bowl in firewood bin. Baby Mockingbird and nest fell from tree one evening. I put baby back in nest and placed at bottom of tree. Next morning baby still alive so drilled some hole in bowl tied to tree, put baby and nest in bowl. Mother did return to feed baby, baby now a big bird and flew away.
Wood turners need, "Keep an open mind."

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom