Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have problems when turning acrylics where the long strands get caught on the impeller of the dust collector. This eventually causes loss of suction and I have to remove the hose for cleaning.

Would adding one of those trash can devices as a small cyclone collector allow the acrylic strands to fall into the small trash can? Link shows the trash can top I'm thinking about using.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004310/Trash-Can-Cyclone-Lid.aspx

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I have one of those and it works great for wood chips and coarse sawdust. I haven't changed a bag in years. But I don't know for sure that it would drop the acrylic ribbons. They might have a low enough weight/wind resistance ratio to bypass the can and hit the impeller anyway. But it can't hurt, and might do the trick. I don't use it on my lathe (yet) so I can't verify the results first hand for ya.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I recently got one.. It worked pretty good... I was able to make it work even better by cutting a 'thien baffle' for it.. Basically it was a board that is a little smaller than the lid, with a hole for the 90 deg pipe, but not the out pipe.

It was pretty easy to make for this too, I just replace the bolts on the handle to hold it in place.

Top Bottom