Dust Collection Supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hey Folks,

This weekend I picked up a HF 2 HP Dust Collector. Seems to be pretty well made. Now I am trying to find a good outlet for ducting. I have not decided what I will use yet, but can't seem to find a source with a selection. Was hoping for something local, but think I might be out of luck there. Any recommendations would be great. Amazon carries some stuff.

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Have you considered 6" PVC pipes? I've read that they are more efficient (because the walls are smooth). You will only need the flexible ones at the ends.

beamer

I went with all galvanized HVAC ductwork from the big orange monster. It was cheaper than the PVC (in 6", anyway) and i didn't have to bother with the "ground or no ground" controversy.

Dario

BTW, If you go with PVC, most that I've talked to (and read) advised againt making the connections permanent. As most with anthing...you want to keep the flexibility as much as possible, in case you want to re-arrange the shop later [;)].

Fangar

Originally posted by beamer
<br />I went with all galvanized HVAC ductwork from the big orange monster. It was cheaper than the PVC (in 6", anyway) and i didn't have to bother with the "ground or no ground" controversy.

Taken from the Bill Pentz amazing site on Dust collection:
Airflow depends upon ducting friction. Here are the Hazen/Williams friction coefficient factors for various duct types (a higher C number is better):

1. Corrugated steel duct= 60
2. Spiral Duct = 90-100
3. Laser Welded Duct = 110-120
4. PVC Duct = 146

As you can see, Steel duct has the most friction. I will liekly go with the PVC. My HF has an intake that takes a 5" pipe if you omit the stock split there. I have to work out all the details. My run will not be that long.

Fangar

woodwish

I used 4" PVC designed for drain fields from the Orange Monster to duct my shop. It is about half the price or less of standard PVC. At our store it was out in the garden shop instead of the plumbing area. The Big Blue store across the street has the same stuff but it's a pukey shade of green, Big Orange's is white. Cheap blast gates fit into it nicely but I made about half my blast gates just due to special circumstances. No grounding and I have never had any problems with static electricity.

The 30 micron bags that came with the HF DC are ok for chips, but the finer dust will pass through the bags.

Look into buying a set of 1 micron bags http://www.pennstateind.com/store/bc2-1v.html you'll do your lungs a favor

bobkeyes

Let me add that I too have the PSI bags. They are great. Better dust collection and greater air flow. I have been using them for over a year and I love them.

I am using PVC with a ground. It works great.

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />The 30 micron bags that came with the HF DC are ok for chips, but the finer dust will pass through the bags.

Look into buying a set of 1 micron bags http://www.pennstateind.com/store/bc2-1v.html you'll do your lungs a favor

Dario

<br />The 30 micron bags that came with the HF DC are ok for chips, but the finer dust will pass through the bags.

I bought Grizzly bags for mine and they work great...much cheaper too (less than a third of that Pennstate bag at $19.95 each on sale) [;)]

A bit misleading though...I think it is actually rated for 3.5 micron and not .3 micron as shown.

53Jim

I am in the middle of reworking my DC system, and I went with schedule 20 PVC. Sched. 20 has thinner walls than the normal schedule 40 (Drain, Waste & Vent), nad costs less, about 1/3 less than 40. I got mine from a Wisconsin store (Fleet Farm), I don't know if Big Orange has sched. 20, but I would assume they do. I know I shouldn't assume, but I'm already an **. Don't believe me??? ask my ex...[;)]

Hope this helps.

Fangar

Thanks Ron. I intend on getting some of those bags.

Also DARIO... It appears that the PSI are a set of two bags while the one on Amazon (Grizzly) appear to be just one. Still quite a bit less.

I am going out of town for a couple of days, but will likely get moving on this when I get back.

Fangar

KenV

If you are likely to want to change the piping, drill holes thru the pipe and fitting and pop rivet on each side. Duct tape the joint to stop air leaks. Drill out the head of the pop rivet to change the layout in the future. High stress connection, use more rivets.

You can always glue the joints later when sure it is as you really really want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom