dust collecting thing...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy all
Wanted your opinion on my dust collecting thing.

Im putting shop back together and I was thinking of a way to collect dust and fumes while assembling a project. Ive seen down draft table before so I thought id modify it a bit. My plan is to build two boxes about 2’ x3’ x4†or so, using 2x4 as the frames.

Ill cover one side with plywood and the other side with my left over pegboard.
Then make some attachments for the hose pickups in the back.

I may put in some baffles to make sure the air doesn’t suck from just a few holes.
But this should work right, or am I missing something.

Thanks….pete

2006105201818_dust1.gif

2006105201913_dust12.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

Using HF 2hp DC system. This item should be about 3 feet from DC behind a wall.

The way im trying to layout the shop, the longest run from the DC should be about 8-10feet max

thanks....pete

rpasto92

I would think that your goal should be to make the sum of all the tiny holes match the volumn of the hose comming from your dust collection unit. SO a 4" hose has an opening of 12.56 sq in. Assuming your pegboard has 1/8" holes then the area of one of those is 0.012272 sq in. Therefore it would take 1024 pegboard holes to match the area of the 4" hose. If the pegboard is spaced out 1" between holes that's 144 holes per square foot and thus you will reach your equal point at 7.11 sq ft. Your proposed plan is for 6 sq ft so you are pretty close in my book...maybe go 2'X3.5'?

Then again, I could be completely wrong, but if I were doing it that is how I would figure it out.

pete00

Originally posted by rpasto92
<br />I would think that your goal should be to make the sum of all the tiny holes match the volumn of the hose comming from your dust collection unit. then again, I could be completely wrong, but if I were doing it that is how I would figure it out.

Ryan

Thanks for the info.
I would love to say , yes i aggree and i thought of that....

However it never entered my mind, nor did i know that i needed to know that, nor could i ever figure it out....[:D][:p]
Im off to Dust collecting 101 .

thanks.....pete

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The above figures look close enough.
If would be good if you coould baffle the suction from different locations in the "box"
YOu could also use 2 4" suction hook ups at opposite ends of the "box" to get a more even suction.
Even with 2/ 4" ports you could Wye them to a 4" duct back to the D.C.
I deally the HFDC could handle a 6" main in which case you could run 2/4" inch ducts to a 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom