d
Adjustable

2006104171752_adj.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks Bit, or should I say Mr Broke?

I am guessing this is meant for a band saw?
I have a similar one I use on the table saw that is adjustable using the fence and the addition of a "hold down" piece for the top.
The concept is the same.

GBusardo

Pretty neat jig. If I feel the need to cut some corners, i usually just run the blank, on the mandrel, on my band saw. Do you have to hold the blank down on the jig with your fingers?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Russb
<br />I often wonder if some of the jigs like this are really necessary. Just turn the corners off. But then again we all do what works for us so I should just keep quiet.
Sorry just had to get it off my chest.

Gary, if I understand your method seems like you risk the blade grabbing you blank/mandrel and ruining your blade, blank, mandrel, a finger, and your day. I know you've been doing this forever and it works.....

Now that I've said this I feel better.........

It depends.
I have worked with some acrylics that wound up with "stress cracks" because of the shock of the tool I would imagine hitting the "flat side"
I am self taught so I know my techniques are not what one may call "traditional" but they work for me.
When I do some of my glue ups I use every little trick I can muster to put the odds in my favore against not having a blank blow up.
Try turning a <b>cross cut </b>piece of red palm without rounding the corners. YOu may find out why some of us use little tricks like this one.[^]

AS far as running something on a mandrel on a motorized saw.
If you have the skill and technique and it works that is one thing.
The only ferrous metal I try to have on top of my table saw is the blade.

GBusardo

I take my time and my fingers nor the mandrel does not come near the blade. Well not near enough to make me nervious. [B)] My question was, what holds down the blank in the jig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom