Drilling deer antler, and bolt action pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cjn

cjn

I'm new to pen making. I'm sure this idea is here somewhere, but I have not seen it. I made a jig from scrap 1/2 " plywood and a 1/8" bolt. I clamped the plywood to the table on the drill press so that the tip of the drill bit hits the center of the bolt.
I then marked both ends of the blank where I wanted the drill bit to enter and exit the blank. The deer antler was slightly curved and laid out the hole so that it would leave a island of bark after the blank was turned.
I then drilled a 1/8" hole in the marked ends of the deer antler.
Place one of the drill ends over the bolt in the plywood. Lower the drill bit until it is centered on the top hole of the blank.
Clamp the antler, then use another clamp to hold the clamp to the drill press table and plywood. I used a total of 4 clamps.
Of course this technique can be used on any type of blank.
This is my first deer antler pen.
I have pictures of the jig and the finished pen. I can't figure out how to embed them in this message. I'll put them in my photo album.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

You can embed images in the thread using the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the reply area....then scroll down until you find the "Manage Attachments" button. For more info, there should be a how-to or other help around here (or in the library).

Since you already put the pictures in your photo gallery, you can link to them by clicking on the square, yellow icon above where you type your text...that lets you paste in a URL for your image. Here's an example using one of the images you posted that I think was meant for this thread (nice pen).

2_IMG_4434.jpg

Dan Masshardt

I have different ways that I drill antler depending on the size / shape and what I feel like doing. :)

1. Just put in in a ph vise on the drill press - if plenty big.

2. Drill on the lathe with Jacobs drill chuck on the headstock and live center in tailstock. If you line up the drill bit on the front and the live center where you want the hold to come out, it will be accurate. Hold the Blank in a pair of pliers and advance the tailstock. Remove tailstock toward the end if the hold before bit breaks through.

3. Mark the spots on each end you want and turn the antler blank between centers on the lathe to round using a steb center to drive. Once it's round you can drill it on the lathe in a chuck or on drill press.

I have different ways that I drill antler depending on the size / shape and what I feel like doing. :)

1. Just put in in a ph vise on the drill press - if plenty big.

2. Drill on the lathe with Jacobs drill chuck on the headstock and live center in tailstock. If you line up the drill bit on the front and the live center where you want the hold to come out, it will be accurate. Hold the Blank in a pair of pliers and advance the tailstock. Remove tailstock toward the end if the hold before bit breaks through.

3. Mark the spots on each end you want and turn the antler blank between centers on the lathe to round using a steb center to drive. Once it's round you can drill it on the lathe in a chuck or on drill press.

If you slip a small block of wood in between the piece you are drilling and the live center in the tailstock you can still advance the tailstock and you have a little more control than just holding it with the pliers at the end.

Mike

Dan Masshardt

If you slip a small block of wood in between the piece you are drilling and the live center in the tailstock you can still advance the tailstock and you have a little more control than just holding it with the pliers at the end. Mike

Good idea for the last bit. I wouldn't start drilling this method without the pliers though. I don't think you are suggesting that anyway.

CrimsonKeel

this is how i did my first one and it worked fine. I only rounded the one end off that my chuck needed to grab a hold of

Top Bottom