Drill bit question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

So other than the 36 drill bits pictured here in Daniel's set that I missed out on

Drill%20Bit%20Display.jpg

What other drill bits would you need? I'm not just speaking to pens, but everything, bottle stoppers, secret compartment key chains, game calls, etc...

I'm in the planning stages for my drill bit drawer for my lathe superstation, and want an idea of where everything is going to go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I like to have both twist and split point or brad point bits for my commonlu used sizes. And if you get a cheap set from HF or the Wood River set like I have, be ready to replace a few that aren't true.

jleiwig

You need at least 800 more sizes. Then you still will not have the right one when you try a new kit.

That's kind of what I figured. I checked CSUSA and I would need to add a set of forstners and about 6 other drill bits other than what Daniel has listed. I have no clue for PSI or Berea.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can make do with a set (or two or three) of bits by 64ths through half inch. PLUS 7mm, 10mm, 10.5mm 12.5mm, 15mm, 20mm.
PLUS 64ths from 1/2" to 3/4" (You will NEVER use a couple of these, but who knows what the next "Emperor look alike" will need).

That should do it, for planning. On the smaller (under half inch), the brad point bits are nice to have sometimes, so I have a cheap set of those.

Good Luck

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Who knows what the next kit will bring. It wasn't all that long ago that you could drill every pen there was with a 9/32" and an "O". But there weren't many kits either.

rjwolfe3

Since you said you would be doing more then pens, look into the drill sizes for game calls (HUT should list those) and things like desk items (CSUSA should have sizes). William O Young does a lot of "things other then pens" and he might be able to answer this better.

jleiwig

Since you said you would be doing more then pens, look into the drill sizes for game calls (HUT should list those) and things like desk items (CSUSA should have sizes). William O Young does a lot of "things other then pens" and he might be able to answer this better.

Most of the game calls take a 3/4" and a 23/32 I believe. At least that's what I read in the CSUSA catalog.

Rifleman1776

Most of the game calls take a 3/4" and a 23/32 I believe. At least that's what I read in the CSUSA catalog.

The HUT kits, and some others, use 3/4" and 1/2" bits. I have had success only with brad point bits in the 3/4" size. This is especially true with hard-hardwoods drilling end grain. My experience with Forstners is burning more than drilling or cutting. I also prefer brad points for all my end grain drilling. e.g. 1/2", pens, etc.
When/if you buy a 3/4" brad point for calls, get a good one and an extra long bit. The initial investment will be substantial but you will find it essential after a while.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe the 20mm was for a "kaleidoscope kit" that was mandrel mounted.

But I am NOT certain, just certain I HAVE it, and I don't buy large size to stare at.

Top Bottom