Don’t wait!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I have been putting off thoroughly cleaned my lathe bed and banjo - DON'T WAIT. It is so wonderful once you clean it well (I sanded it too) and then used a light oil to remove the metal dust. Such a dream to use.

Don't wait. It feels like the tailstock and banjo would slide like a hockey puck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

The method I use on my lathe is this one from SawStop:

https://www.trentdavis.net/2017/06/13/tool-maintenance-protecting-cast-iron-tabletop/

Here is a basic summary:

* Apply a heavy coat of WD-40 on the lathe bed and allow it to soak in.
* Use a block on top of 3M Gray abrasive pads (part number 7448) to scrub the lathe bed.
* Wipe up the WD-40 / slurry mix with clean cloths.
* Clean off the remaining WD-40 residue with denatured alcohol.
* Protect the surface with wax. Most of the time I use Johnson's Paste Wax because it is inexpensive, but sometimes I use Renaissance Wax or Boeshield T-9 on a whim. I have no reason to choose one over the other. They are fine products that do a good job.

WriteON

I have been putting off thoroughly cleaned my lathe bed and banjo - DON'T WAIT. It is so wonderful once you clean it well (I sanded it too) and then used a light oil to remove the metal dust. Such a dream to use.

Don't wait. It feels like the tailstock and banjo would slide like a hockey puck.
How dare you try to inspire us to take care of our equipment. J/K...there is no such thing as Too Clean. I like to coat the bed with BreakFree.

mmayo

I have Boeshield and use it, today a product called GetSome ultimate got the call. In any case, get to it and you'll be glad you did.

KenB259

Did mine today and you are so right. This is what I use it's a little pricey but you use so little it will last a long time. Makes metal sliding on metal so smooth you won't believe it.
IMG_1331.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom