Using dremel to inlay a charm on pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I either inlaid or surface applied a variety of sterling silver charms on to numerous pens. I pressed the charms in a small jig to match the curvature of the intended pen barrel. Jig was made by drilling series of different sized holes in a block of wood, cutting the block to leave half the drilled hole, then using an appropriate sized rod to press the charm to the desired curvature. The relatively soft wood jig did not mar the 'show' side of the charm.

jttheclockman

There are methods to do cross inlays using segmented woods. You can search for those here. As for carving out a section to inlay an item depends on how good you are and is not easy because you also have to take in consideration the curve of the tube so you need to be able to bend the item as well thus examples of this are watch part pen blanks. But with those they build the tube up and cast clear resin around them. This is easier also. Then there is the ability to use the medal or item as a clip function and build around that theory or attach it direct to a clip. I would say the segmented wood idea is the easiest and best looking.

PenPal

I made a pen for my Dentist one time using a dremel to fashion a wisdom tooth out of white Corian holding the Corian in one hand and Dremel tool and dental burr in the other.Then cut a recess in the pen to receive the tooth. He was wrapped in the gift and framed it.

I googled wisdom tooth for a guide.

This when I was in my late 70,s.

Kind regards Peter.

TonyL

Much larger scale and as JT suggested - seems to be a function of skill (that I definitely do not have - I use my Dremel for more dogs' toenails :).

Top Bottom