Dog Click Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jamesomac

Does anyone have issues with the click mechanism on the dog click pens? The only way mine will work is to leave the plunger very loose. The finished blank is exactly the right size, and I made sure the plastic mechanism was secured tightly into sleeve. It seems that when I depress the plunger, it does not go far enough to lock in the open position.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The click mech. on this pen just does not feel right, somehow. . I can't explain any more fully than that. . I have made only 2 of them and both feel the same.

Jamesomac

The thing is that you don't know you have a problem until it is assembled, then it is too late. I can't remove the top mechanism to see what's going on.

TonyL

I only made one (for my wife) that uses it daily. I am actually surprised that it has held-up this well. It doesn't seem to be the best design - who knows?

WriteON

The thing is that you don't know you have a problem until it is assembled, then it is too late. I can't remove the top mechanism to see what's going on.
Call the vendor and explain. Express you are disappointed and would like a replacement part or new kit. I have not had any problems with the dog kits.

Jamesomac

I called PSI and asked for a pen technician but the phone rang for several minutes with no answer. I tried this twice. I'll try again later and see if they will send me a new click mechanism.

WriteON

I called PSI and asked for a pen technician but the phone rang for several minutes with no answer. I tried this twice. I'll try again later and see if they will send me a new click mechanism.
Simply ask whoever answers the phone at customer service to send replacement part. Also explain you called previously and and nobody answered

When I have issues with PSI, which is very rare, I use the on-line chat tool. I seem to get directed to the right person quickly and get the end results I need. I agree with the phone, unless your placing an order PSI doesn't have great phone service. The chat line is not available on the weekends or after there normal working hours.

George883

What did you do to get it to work? I've got one of these kits that I'll be making soon so if there's a problem how about sharing the fix before the rest of us have traouble.
[Not sure what happened, maybe it was me, when i first assembled the pen it wasn't working well. I seemed like the click assembly wasn't fully engaged. So I dissembled the pen and re assembled it and it worked well.

Jamesomac

I tried to remove the click mechanism with a steel punch, but only succeeded breaking off a piece of the plastic. After that it worked OK but I don't know why, and I could never sell it. The issue I had is the refill would not extend far enough to lock in the open position when I pressed the plunger. I wish I knew a way to test this before assembly because it is very hard to remove it after it is press into the tube.. The PSI technician was very helpful, and they will send me a new click mechanism with my next order. I have two more of these kits, but am very leery of starting another one.

penicillin

I made a dog click pen about a month ago. I remember the issues with turning buckeye burl for the first time, but no problems with assembly at all. The click mechanism worked, the pen wrote, and we gave it to its recipient the next day. The next time we saw the recipient, she told us that she loved it.
Dog Click Pen Buckeye Burl.JPG

penicillin

P.S. Here are my latest tricks that help me with assembly:

* Check the milled blank and tube length carefully before turning.
I use digital calipers to verify that the length of the blank (with tube glued inside) is an exact match for the expected tube length. I get the tube length from the instructions or the IAP phone app. ($1, and highly recommended!)

* Make sure the inside of the tubes are clean from glue.
Use a pen mill insert to clear out the glue from inside the tube. If that doesn't get it shiny clean, use a round file to scrape and clean it out gently.

* (Optional, but it helps me) Use a deburring tool to clean and chamfer the tube ends.
I bought this one from Penn State before realizing that it is a generic tool that can be found at local hardware stores:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/MSDEBURR.html

Jamesomac

I use a sharp Fiskers knife to clean out the ends of the tubes. I then use a cotton swab dipped in acetone to clear out what's left. I always use base plate wax to seal the tube ends, but a little glue still finds its way into the tube.

TonyL

After working flawlessly for months guess what my wife presented my with this morning?

Top Bottom