Documents for Tracking Pen Making, for Gifts, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

Allow me to share some of my pen making process and forms with you.

I use paper forms to track pens as I make them. At the start, I put a pen kit, a pen blank, and a partially completed form into a fold-top plastic sandwich bag. As each pen goes through the various stages, I update the form as I go, and the in-progress work stays in the fold-top bag with the updated form. Most of the time, I have multiple bags going at one time. In case anyone cares, I have 13 bags going right now.

When the pen is complete, I put the pen in an inexpensive square display tube to serve as a gift box. The tubes may not fit the largest pens, like Cuban/cigar pens. So far, all the pens I have made have fit. I like the tubes because they look nice and cost only 70 cents apiece. I usually tie a thin ribbon "bow" near the top of the tube. I put a small gift slip in the tube with the pen, facing out so that it can be read without opening the tube. The slip gives basic information about the pen - refill type, wood type, source of the wood, etc. Here are the display tubes that I use as gift boxes: https://www.rockler.com/pen-display-tubes

At the time the pen is gifted, I add the paper record from the fold-top bag to a spreadsheet. If something goes wrong later, I can look up the information about the pen. I reuse the fold-top bags for future pens.

I hope this helps someone. Feel free to share your pen making process and forms here. It would be nice to see what others do.

Attachments:

I am releasing them into the public domain. Feel free to copy, steal, edit, alter, modify, bend, tear, fold, or mutilate. Heck, you can even claim that you authored them yourself; even better if you post improvements!

* Pen Making Record Blank Form (.doc, .pdf) - I cut these into six individual forms, then put one in a fold top baggie with the pen kit and pen blank. This slip stays with the pen until it is gifted or used.

* Pen Gift Labels Example (.doc, .pdf) - I edit the slips on this form to match the latest pens, and then cut each one out to put in the square pen tube with the pen gift. I insert them facing out, so they can be read from outside.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The fancy, calligraphy-like font is called "Apple Chancery" and comes with Mac computer. It is similar to Zapf Chancery. If you don't see the fancy script in the .doc file, try the .pdf file to see what I have in mind.

* Pen Making Tracking Database Example - This is an example of the spreadsheet I use to track every pen I make, even the failures. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. The date is the date I gifted the pen or put it into use. I thought about adding start and finished dates, but could not think of a reason to need them.

Attachments

• Pen Making Record Blank Form.doc
    24 KB · Views: 474
  • Pen Making Record Blank Form.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 426
  • Pen Gift Labels Example.doc
    26 KB · Views: 388
  • Pen Gift Labels Example.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 385
  • Pen Making Tracking Database Example.xls
    36.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

If you start selling pens , a few additional fields might be helpful , such as venue , destination (if the customer tells you) , selling price . Might also want to consider more descriptors after the wood type , such as xct (cross-cut) , >ct (angle ct) , knt (knot) , brk (bark) , brl (burl) , brleye (burl with eyes) , wrm (insect damage) , crl (curly) , cht (chatoyant) , Alutrq (Alumilite infill with turquoise mica) , 3tne (3 distinct colours or shades) . Can be useful as a record for pricing , if you do as I do , and use visual appearance (number of eye focal points) as the primary pricing determinant .

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I make a of pens for gifts. This is really going to help me keep track of what I make and who I give a pen to.

penicillin

Another Document: Irish Bog Oak Pen Certificate

I bought some Irish bog oak pen blanks from another member here. It came with a detailed university report certifying its age (6500 years). The report had a full page "certificate" at the end, suitable for a lab, but not for a gift.

I made my own small certificates to accompany bog oak pens.

Certificate description: Leafy border in a "celtic knot" pattern. There is an image of a Claddagh just above the bottom border. The Claddagh is a symbol of Ireland, often used in rings. A Claddagh has two hands holding a heart, with a crown above.

The text above the Claddagh reads:
"This pen was made with ancient bog oak from Ireland, a limited resource. An acorn sprouted 6,500 years ago. It grew into a mighty oak. After it died, the oak tree fell into a peat bog where it was covered and preserved. Dissolved tannins darkened the wood over the millennia. The wood in your pen was dated by matching the tree ring spacing. Treasure it. It took 6,500 years to make!"

The text below the Claddagh reads:
"Lovingly Handcrafted by ..." (and our names, of course.)

As promised, I am sharing my certificate text above. The text is my original writing. I release it into the public domain. Feel free to use it, modify it, and make your own Irish bog oak certificates for your pens. If you can improve on the text or find known good free Irish symbol images, please share them here.

Disclaimer and apology:
Unfortunately, I do not know enough about clip art to feel 100% confident that I am using genuine "royalty free" images. Otherwise, I would post the certificate file here. Please accept my apologies about that, but web searches for royalty free clip art are hopeless. I can't tell you how many "free clip art" sites are nothing more than aggregations of other images on the internet. Click on a "free art" link, and you go to a payment processing site. It took waaay more time than it should. As best I can determine, I am using royalty free art. Besides, the pens will go only to family and close friends who won't rat me out if I am wrong. To avoid any potential risk, I must withhold the art. So sorry.

Top Bottom