Do you sit or stand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I know what you're thinking but. I've recently had some hip issues that don't allow me to stand for much time. I've tried standing on a cushioned mat, no help, so I've reverted to trying to sit. It's a big pain too so I'm asking those that sit vs. stand how they do it. I like to turn off center from the lathe kind of on the left side of it. But I've watched enough videos now that show the turner standing center of the piece being turned. I've had enough stuff bounce off my chest to make me skeptical of this approach. Also, how high do you sit above the item your turning i.e. are you sitting at the same height as if your standing? Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I stand... turning bowls is really hard to do from a sitting position as you are moving constantly keeping the tool against the wood.... I also stand on a cushion mat right in front of the turning piece. I do take precautions as I've had a bowl bounce off my cheek, a couple of random chunks off a cracked bowl bounce off my face mask, and usually a ton of wood chips all over my shirt.... (I never turn on the lathe without a face shield after the bowl off the cheek. )

MTViper

I had my left knee replaced in Nov 2018 and my right one in Feb 2019. During the recovery periods on both knees, I learned to sit to turn spindles. As they healed, I would stand more. I did not try any bowls until I was able to stand for longer periods of time. I did some offset turning as well during this time. I have a Jet 1642 with 2 2x6's under the legs to raise it high enough that my back didn't hurt. I sat on a shop stool from Northern Tools raised pretty high. Now I stand when turning and sit to sand.

I'm not sure what kind of lathe you have but most full sized lathes come with cages to keep bowls and other things from bouncing off your chest. After a friend was seriously injured when a bowl came off at high speed, I put mine back on my lathe and use it regularly when I'm turning anything not on a mandrel. Like Lynn Yamaguchi who was severely injured a few years ago, I got a riot helmet with a steel cage and a lexan shield for when I turn large bowls. I turn oak and pecan bowls occasionally and they sometimes have surprises inside that go flying. I also make sure I stand out of the line of fire when I turn on the lathe and adjust the speed. Then I try to stand out of the plane of rotation as much as possible, but it's never totally possible.

Steve

jttheclockman

I am in that position these days myself with a bad hip and back and can not stand for long periods. But can not sit hunched over either which happens if you sit at a lathe. I could never sit and do lathe work because my body moves with the tool and not just hands. Makes for a more consistent cut I found. I do sit when scrolling though and can sit pretty much upright so good there. all other tools in the shop require standing for safety reasons.

mick

If I'm not mistaken there was a turner here, I think his name was Big Rob. He had back or feet issues I don't remember which, bur taught himself to sit and turn but I think he said he really struggled with it. I don't know if he's still around. Maybe he'll see this and comment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dogcatcher

I use a walker to get around, I have my lathe sitting on a desk, it is at the right height that I can sit in a Bar stool and turn, For short periods of time I can stand, but only a few minutes and I am back to sitting. On another lathe, I had to add 2x4 stock to the height of the lathe to get it correct. I am not sitting on the stool, more of a case of putting a lot of weight i on and pressure off of my legs. I have had this way for almost 20 years.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is a link to an IAP conversation on sit down lathes back in 2014:

PenPal

I sit from choice for perhaps 30 yrs. I only turn pens these days am 6foot 2 inches. I welded the desk to enable the lathe to be driven through the headstock to a Variable Speed controller in other words nothing under the bench to bite,maim etc I sit on an old draughtsmans swivel at a height above the lathe,comfort means I can turn all day in comfort using the circular footrest. A rough old pic when I installed my Vicmarc VL150 lathe to give you an idea. Now 86 this yr with poor foot circulation it still is great for me.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 124

rherrell

I'm disabled so I don't have a choice. I learned to turn sitting down so I don't know any other way. I can see the disadvantages to sitting for large bowls or long spindles but it's absolutely not a problem for pens. My chair height is 27.5" off the floor and my lathe spindle center is 44.5", if that helps.

darrin1200

While I have never used a sit down lathe, with my back and knees, I suspect I will in the future.

I currently own a Canadian made Oneway 1224, which I love. They are considered one of the premier lathe makers and to the best of my knowledge, completely manufactured in Stratford, Ontario.
They also make a lathe that is designed for sitting at.

Oneway 1236 Sitdown lathe

Thanks everyone for sharing. A lot of what I read here I already do, like sitting for the finish. This just started the other day from, believe it or not, taking a hike on the property with my wife. I'm really hoping it's muscular and nothing else. My knees and back are already shot so this just added to the aggravation. Thanks again for the info, I've got some research to do now.

MRDucks2

I am not speaking from a lot of experience and presumed you may think I was nuts until I looked it up in the internet and felt some redemption.

I wondered if a one legged stool of some type could be beneficial for turning with some of these health issues. I remember seeing a couple of short ones used for milk stools shen I was kid. At one point I had injured my upper back and was not comfortable at a work bench either sitting or standing so made a simple, taller one legged stool out of 2 pieces of 2x4 like the milk stools I had seen.

It allowed me to lean mostly upright in a position that took weight of the back and hips without being hunched over too much. I adjusted it until I was comfortable and it allowed me to pivot with little effort.

Looked it up and there are many versions today, much to my surprise.

sbwertz

I have a number of turners at the blind center who can't stand for any length of time...one is paralyzed from the waist down...and they turn sitting on a high stool with a back. I place the stool at about a 45 degree angle to the lathe, with one foot of the stool on the outside of the lathe stand foot. This allows the turner to hold a long tool against their right side and present it at a right angle to the work.

WriteON

I am in that position these days myself with a bad hip and back and can not stand for long periods. But can not sit hunched over either which happens if you sit at a lathe. I could never sit and do lathe work because my body moves with the tool and not just hands. Makes for a more consistent cut I found. I do sit when scrolling though and can sit pretty much upright so good there. all other tools in the shop require standing for safety reasons.
Same here as to moving with tool. If I sat and turned I'd wear a full face mask and some kind of heavy duty apron in case of flying objects.

howsitwork

When I broke my ankle a few years back I first turned pens by sitting / leaning on a bar stool and a large bag of shavings. Nto allowed to stand without crutches said the consultant and my wife ( nurse agreedšŸ˜¢) so had t9 get around two obstacles but after 2 weeks of daytime TV it was either turn or suicide ! Got some pen kits from a friend and by one legged balancing / leaning on lathe headstock and bar stool I could turn the pens. From memory the bag of shavings let me kneel effectively on the leg in the cast.

Had to carefully remove evidence before coming into the house , although I am fairly sure SWMBO knew what I was doing. Also when having cast sit off and changed I had to carefully distract the nurse to quickly blow away the shavings.

The sitting lathes are made, by Robust , Hegner also do one. But try a bar stool and leaning first. I must agree with all the above though that head/ face protection is ESSENTIAL. The helmets filter the air as well so a winner all round.

I am not speaking from a lot of experience and presumed you may think I was nuts until I looked it up in the internet and felt some redemption.

I wondered if a one legged stool of some type could be beneficial for turning with some of these health issues. I remember seeing a couple of short ones used for milk stools shen I was kid. At one point I had injured my upper back and was not comfortable at a work bench either sitting or standing so made a simple, taller one legged stool out of 2 pieces of 2x4 like the milk stools I had seen.

It allowed me to lean mostly upright in a position that took weight of the back and hips without being hunched over too much. I adjusted it until I was comfortable and it allowed me to pivot with little effort.

Looked it up and there are many versions today, much to my surprise.

You're far from nuts. What a great idea you've presented. I never thought of using a long milking stool. I'm giving his hip a few more days and if the pain isn't gone then I'll look for alternatives like this idea. Thanks.

When I broke my ankle a few years back I first turned pens by sitting / leaning on a bar stool and a large bag of shavings. Nto allowed to stand without crutches said the consultant and my wife ( nurse agreedšŸ˜¢) so had t9 get around two obstacles but after 2 weeks of daytime TV it was either turn or suicide ! Got some pen kits from a friend and by one legged balancing / leaning on lathe headstock and bar stool I could turn the pens. From memory the bag of shavings let me kneel effectively on the leg in the cast.

Had to carefully remove evidence before coming into the house , although I am fairly sure SWMBO knew what I was doing. Also when having cast sit off and changed I had to carefully distract the nurse to quickly blow away the shavings.

The sitting lathes are made, by Robust , Hegner also do one. But try a bar stool and leaning first. I must agree with all the above though that head/ face protection is ESSENTIAL. The helmets filter the air as well so a winner all round.

My wife watches me like a hawk. I normally can't get away with much so although the idea sounds good Ian, my wife will be all over it.
I do currently use a Trend Airpro face shield with built in filters and a heavy denim apron my wife made for me. I do have two bar stool style chairs in the shop and also a draftsmen chair also. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the ideas.

Top Bottom