Dizzy Bowl No. 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

This is my second attempt at one of these dizzy bowls.
A lot of fun but still not quite right. Better luck next time they say.:)
It is 8 1/2 inches wide x 5 inches tall. Sanded to 420 and finished with Shellawax Glow friction polish.
There are lots of pieces in this ?????????

Timbers used are;-
Jarrah, Pine, Queensland Maple, Tasmanian Oak, Padauk, Walnut and the base is Snakewood (Acacia ???)

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.
C & C welcome.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

OK Bob I give up. Are you willing to share with us the problem that is not so obvious. You can PM me if you would like not to post it here. But I am curious:)

Bob Wemm

OK Bob I give up. Are you willing to share with us the problem that is not so obvious. You can PM me if you would like not to post it here. But I am curious:)

John, my bandsaw is not big enough to cut through 8 1/2 = inches so I made the block in two halves, sliced them and then joined the rings together.
The problem was that one part of the block was about 1/8 in wider than the other, so the pattern doesn't line up properly. One side is really good and the other side is not staggered evenly. The photo shows the good "stagger", so if you look closely at the front side (inside) you'll see that the stagger is uneven.
LESSON, both halves of the block have to be identical.:redface:

Hope this puts your mind at rest. :)

Bob.

jttheclockman

Thanks Bob. I think because of the pattern being so wild the eye is tricked to overlook these things. You know where the problem is being you put it together. But sometimes we are our own worst critics. Still very nice work. Thanks for showing.

John, my bandsaw is not big enough to cut through 8 1/2 = inches so I made the block in two halves, sliced them and then joined the rings together.
The problem was that one part of the block was about 1/8 in wider than the other, so the pattern doesn't line up properly. One side is really good and the other side is not staggered evenly. The photo shows the good "stagger", so if you look closely at the front side (inside) you'll see that the stagger is uneven.

Bob.

Never tell anyone your design flaw... you intended to do it that way. :cool::cool::biggrin:

Bob Wemm

Bob.

Never tell anyone your design flaw... you intended to do it that way. :cool::cool::biggrin:

I agree Chuck, but that's the trouble with making stuff, you know what is hidden. Worst part is most people would never see the fault, but you know it's there, and in your eyes it sticks out like dog's *****.

Bob:)

tomas

The Sipapu

Bob.

In Native American pottery they usually include a deliberate flaw in their design called a Sipapu. I have always heard that they include it so that the gods know they don't think they are perfect. I have many Sipapus in my pieces.

Of course, I had an English professor tell me that poor spelling is a sign of high intelligence. I've used that one a lot over the years, too.

Tomas

Bob.

In Native American pottery they usually include a deliberate flaw in their design called a Sipapu. I have always heard that they include it so that the gods know they don't think they are perfect. I have many Sipapus in my pieces.

Of course, I had an English professor tell me that poor spelling is a sign of high intelligence. I've used that one a lot over the years, too.

Tomas

Another man who thinks in the same gutter... great minds all run in the same gutter.... I have often told people that I subscribe to the Navajo philosophy...a perfect pattern is an affront to the Gods.... :biggrin::biggrin:

I nearly wear my spell checker out... I'm a little anal about the spelling... can't stand a misspelled or misused word. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Top Bottom