DIY no slop miter bars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Long story short, I need to remake my segmenting sled. Thought about just buying a couple of aluminum miter bars,but two are around forty bucks. Seen a variation of these online and thought , those look easy enough. Just finished them and I have to say they will work great. I made sure they were just a tad sloppy, so they will always be adjustable. Run them down my miter slots and they adjusted perfectly, absolutely no slop. Now off to the rest of the sled.
IMG_1194.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Every time I see a cat, I think- what a waste of of fur!- Comedienne Rita Rudner.
KenB259, good idea. To me, nothing more satisfying than a DIY project. It's even better if it works!

KenB259

Every time I see a cat, I think- what a waste of of fur!- Comedienne Rita Rudner.
KenB259, good idea. To me, nothing more satisfying than a DIY project. It's even better if it works!

Just a follow up, sled is done and those miter bars work perfectly. Since I had everything set up to make them, I made three extra sets for future jigs. It's very satisfying to me to make my own jigs. I swear I like making jigs even more than pens sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I too like to make jigs of all kinds and find it rewarding because you solved a problem and probably made a job safer and easier in the long run. I too make runners from hard woods but do not bother with the threaded setscrews. Not needed for me. I set the runners in the miter slots and if loose I favor both to the opposite sides and shim accordingly. Usually a piece of paper or two to take up slack. Now lay the sled on top and nail with glue and brad nails and it is designated for that machine. If still snug run some sandpaper down the runner to get to slide easier. My shop is dry so not much worry about expansion and contraction much. Hope to see the jig when done.

Woodchipper

Somewhere, in another galaxy, someone had made a sled. The runners were placed in the miter slots with a few drops of wood glue. He carefully set the sled on the runners and let the glue dry. Turned the sled upside down and secured with screws. Last, the sled was run through the blade to mark the position for cutting. Hope this makes sense.

KenB259

Somewhere, in another galaxy, someone had made a sled. The runners were placed in the miter slots with a few drops of wood glue. He carefully set the sled on the runners and let the glue dry. Turned the sled upside down and secured with screws. Last, the sled was run through the blade to mark the position for cutting. Hope this makes sense.

Yupp , that's the way I do it in this galaxy as well [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom