differences in chrome wine stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

I was checking out the general Chrome bottle stoppers from PSI and Craft Supply. They appear to be exactly the same but PSI says to use a 23/64 drill bit and the Craft Supply's says to use a 11/32 drill bit, (so 1/64 smaller). Does anyone know why?

I have alot of the PSI ones and I have a have a ridiculously hard time screwing the metal part into hard woods (like Jatoba), I saw that craft supply's offers a little tap to create threads in the wood, but I'm concerned that the 1/64th difference will throw it off.

How do you guys handle this? I might have an order for alot of stoppers for a friends fall wedding (so I have time) and I would like to try and streamline any steps in the creation of the stopper since my wife is making me almost give them away.

Thanks,
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I believe that all of the stoppers you listed use a 3/8" x 16tpi screw. Although I do not make any chrome stoppers, the ones I do make also use a 3/8" x 16tpi screw. I use a different drill, depending on the material. Smaller size for soft woods, larger size for very dense woods and acrylics. The actual drill size is not that critical. I then tap the hole with a 3/8" x 16tpi bottom tap. This allows the blank to screw onto my mandrel and will allow the finished stopper to screw onto the base.

Dvoigt

I then tap the hole with a 3/8" x 16tpi bottom tap.

Just a regular metal tap? Do you know where you got yours from?

I always screw the stub fully into the wood with a pair of lockgrips, and then screw the base on - guaranteed to seat fully...

How do you not damage the threads while holding that little screw and screwing it in? I'm assuming a lockgrip is similar to a visegrip.... and I have done some damage with visegrips

Top Bottom