Did I mention I like color?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisinOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinOR

Hello again all...

It's been a while since I've posted anything, so I thought I'd upload a few pics of my recent pens.

Recently I had about 100 pen blanks stabilized and some dyed. There were some Maple Burl and and spalted African... something. I'm not really sure what it is. So far I have been really pleased with how these stabilized blanks have been coming out... really spectacular!

First up..
20076272386_DSCN4426.jpg

This one is a Streamline with stabilized spalted Maple Burl. No color added here!

Next...
200762723916_DSCN4430.jpg

This one is also a Streamline, this time with red dyed and stabilized cross cut spalted African something. SWEET!!!

...and another
200762724046_DSCN4424.jpg

This one is a Round Top Euro with dyed and stabilized Maple Burl. There wasn't much burl in this piece, but check out the figure WOW!!!

Still more...
200762724235_DSCN4422.jpg

This was my first attempt at a pinecone pen. A nightmare to turn. Unfortunately I've got three more blanks, I'm not sure I want to turn them... Pen kit is a Round Top Euro...

Last, and definitely not the least...
200762724524_DSCN4419.jpg

200762724554_DSCN4420.jpg

This is now my new EDC. Blue is my favorite color and this one is just awesome.

Your comments, critiques, and criticisms are most welcome and appreciated.

Chris Nilluka

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
WOW![8D] Love that blue pen!!!!!!!!
Oh, the others are neat, too. Nice dyed wood. Great work.
Love that blue pen!!!!!!!!

Woodlvr

Great Work!!! What pen kit is the blue pen? It is like the blue is electric and charging out at you. [:)]

Mike

ChrisinOR

Wow... you guys flatter me...

Thank you for all your kind words. They really are appreciated.

The finish that was used on all but the inlace pen is CA. I tried something I don't normally do prior to applying the CA. I rubbed the blanks down with 0000 steel wool. I think it made the figure pop a little better. I'm not sure why that would matter on stabilized wood though.

The kit on the last pen is a flat top rollerball from Rockler, which I believe is a Berea kit.

Chris Nilluka

bjackman

Chris, while I think your background is a little busy and pulls my eye away from the pen some, I really like how your photos show your excellent finish all across the length. Mind sharing what photo setup you're using?

Woodlvr

Chris,
Would you share where you got the blue blank or is it a home brew of yours? I read about using the steel wool but have never tried it so I will now and see if it will improve my technique-it cannot get any worse.

Mike

ChrisinOR

My photo set up?.... (ha)..

Lately there hasn't been much to it. I take the pictures outside in the late afternoon in the shadows. It seems to give pretty good ambient light. The camera is a Nikon CoolPix 4100 set for macro. I also use a tripod. One thing I need to work on is getting the entire pen in focus. Currently all the pens are out of focus in the bottom left corner. I'm not on top of the pens enough to get everything in focus. I do have a light box that I made but I rarely use it as it is kind of a pain to set up, but when I do the pictures are much higher quality...

For the most part I get all my acrylic and inlace blanks and all my kits from Rockler. I work there so I get a bit of a price break...

Chris Nilluka

ChrisinOR

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Thanks Chris, I looked for the blue blanks and they are not online, did you buy them all?[}:)][;)]

Mike

As far as I know they are only available in the retail stores... But I can find out for sure.

Chris Nilluka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom