Dichroic Ties Tacks for New Years Eve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some buddies requested larger-than-usual tie tacks with bling for New Years Eve.

I rarely argue when there's a little adventure.

Steps:
Acetone wash 25mm stainless steel bezel/pins
Cut up some dichroic film from Fran at:
https://www.little-windows.com/collections/dichro-ish/products/dichro-ish-film-refill-pack
(Fran calls it Dichro-Ish)
Tone the backgrounds with some home made solvent-based paint
Cure x 3 days
Make some hand made mica pigment paint
Paint some abstracts under a microscope
Onlay the film onto moist paint, then paint a little more
Cure x 3 days under a dust cover
Fill the bezels with Fran's epoxy resin
Cure x 3 days under a dust cover
Mate them up with the chain findings
The loop goes over a button to add a little swing to News Years Eve
Just add "Auld Lang Syne"

attachment.php

Warm regards and Happy New Year to all makers! - Bob

Attachments

• DichroicTieTacks,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    DichroicTieTacks,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 544
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Its embarrassing to admit that I have no current use for Tie Tacks - A lifestyle issue, need to get back to supporting the arts and attend the Cleveland Orchestra, etc.

Tie tacks, cuff links, not in my wardrobe. However, still gives lots of inspiration for other projects.

BUT, I do appreciate the artistry represented in these. The colors are amazingly sharp and the casts are excellent.

Very nice Bob - Thanks for sharing (This last statement is well meant - you and your techniques are well respected. We do appreciate what you share and are better for that).

Woodchipper

Those are amazing with a dazzle of colors. I read that 80% of the men in the world don't wear neckties and the guy who invented it should be hung with one. Haven't worn a tie in about 10 years.

Bob in SF

Thanks for the kind comments!!

Ron/Rtibbs - what is a tie?
A tie is something you don't wear while operating a lathe at 4,000rpm - even if you are using a tie tack.
A tie is something you may never wear.
Neckties flourished among Croatian Mercenaries during the Thirty Year War in France (1618-1648), and then enjoyed a 350 year run.
Casual Friday's of the latter 20th century have blossomed into casual everyday's.
Ties may be yesteryear's unique eye catching emblems of a man's wardrobe, but I still wear one every day at the office.
Why?
Because I enjoy it.

Why have a beautiful pen when a Bic will suffice?

With all due respect to the gods of high tech industry and their enforced casual dress codes, I probably won't change my ways in this latter chapter.

I come from a far away time when my parents insisted on coat and tie for restaurants, parties, visiting downtown areas, going into government buildings, etc. I do not push my archaic habits onto others, but will gladly provide free neckties at my funeral (hopefully not very soon:)).

Meanwhile, stay tuned for some dichroic pens.

Happiest of New Years to All - Bob
(Playing a New Years gig tomorrow eve - you guessed it - Black Tie)

robutacion

Oh, the ties...!:redface:

Never liked them or suits, I have only owned one of each when I got first married back in 1978, I had no choice I was basically forced to suit-up with a tie on that day and I remember well that I felt very uncomfortable but family impositions won on the day but after the church ceremony and the following traditional lunch with all the guests, I was not quick enough to get off the tie and the suit, put them in a bag and gave them to the first Red Cross store I've found. Since then there was no way in hell I would ever repeat that dress code, ever, ever...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Bob in SF

Thanks Michael and Randy!

Randy - Yes, the dichro film is flexible - crumples well for added optical interest - pens in progress.

- Bob

Loucurr

Where did you get the tie tacks at...never seen any with the button loop only the one that are straight and go through the button hole.

Top Bottom