Dibble finish suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jzerger

jzerger

I have been asked to make a few dribbles (a gardening tool I had never heard of). As the tip is used to make dents/holes in the dirt, I was thinking I'd do a CA finish to keep the dirt from sticking to the wood. I'd be interested in hearing whether you think this will do the job or if there is a better finish I could use. Tongue oil?
Thanks for your help,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The bottom line is any finish you apply will take a beating when it is used to poke holes for planting bulbs. No film coating like CA will last long when used this way. I would recommend polyurethane, even though it is a film coating like CA, it is easier to reapply off the lathe.

mrtrenier

I all depends on the user of the tool. If they are an organic gardener, they may want the wood plain. The tool is meant to get dirty so why worry about a finish at all or perhaps just some plain beeswax.

monophoto

My personal dibble was made from a scrap of Trex (artificial decking 'wood' - mixture of sawdust and plastic), so it doesn't have any finish at all.

I've seen a few at craft sales that were finished with a simple BLO/wax finish.

Dibble are tools for use in dirt, and are going to get dirty - I wouldn't waste expensive CA on them.

frank123

I use Tung Oil on rifle stocks for its ability to resist weather exposure and overall toughness in outdoor conditions.

Easy to refinish or touch up as well.

That would probably be the option I'd try, or maybe linseed oil.

Ed McDonnell

I think the wood you use will have more of an impact on longevity / cosmetics than the finish. A straight grained piece of hardwood like Ash / Hickory with no finish will probably produce a tool that will outlast the user.

Ed

firewhatfire

I had to go google a dibble tool......learned something new today. I noticed several had lines burned in them.

Are the lines put on an inch apart to keep depth consistent?

Top Bottom