Desk pen and business card holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

I am designing and turning a desk pen and business card holder from walnut. I cut a 1/4 inch slot across the top of a 2 1/2" cube, slightly behind center to hold business cards. I mounted it between centers with the grain and turned a bead on the bottom and rounded the top into a dome. I will drill a hole into the other side of the top with my "Plugger" bit to hold th pen. at an angle.

I am just learning to turn, and I finish my pens with CA. I am going to finish this with Myland's friction polish, but I want to fill the open grain in the walnut. On a pen I would make a slurry with CA and sawdust and sand it in, but I don't know if that will work under a myland's finish. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The CA slurry will work fine. My only suggestion would be to ditch the Mylands and use a spray lacquer or wipe on poly. They are much more durable than the Mylands and will more closely match the gloss of the CA finished pen.

sbwertz

I finished this one with the mylands. It isn't exactly what I want, but I will keep it for myself and change the next one a bit. I will make it a little wider and shorter, I think, with a broader bead on the bottom. I will also drill the hole deeper. I'm trying to post a picture. It's not the best photo, but gives an idea of what I am trying to do.

penstand.jpg

Last edited:

nava1uni

You could also make a desk pen. It would not have the middle section and fit in the holder with a more blended appearance. Just a thought. I like the card holder with the pen combination.

Top Bottom