Dental pumice as a polish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

I have tried tooth paste ,, I buy polishing creams ,but prefer a commercial buffing machine

WriteON

Pumice is generally … flower of pumice, Course, medium or fine. It works well but for fine scratches. Wound Just my opinion.. the mesh pads are the best. Pumice is best used with a 3-4" rag wheel or felt cones. Pumice is messy … it's having sand thrown at your face. You do not want it in your eyes. Googles are a must but we use them regardless. If you want to try it start with medium or fine.

WriteON

Thanks. Pondered buying some online. Seems there are better ways to polish.
What are you polishing? I watched a few utubes… people using pumice on furniture. It must be good but I'm not a fan for a lot of reasons. I used pumice on acrylic dental appliances using a Baldor lathe with buffing wheels. It was a wet application. Water&pumice. On the utube the craftsman is using it dry.

Last edited:

Jans husband

Pumice is generally … flower of pumice, Course, medium or fine. It works well but for fine scratches. Wound Just my opinion.. the mesh pads are the best. Pumice is best used with a 3-4" rag wheel or felt cones. Pumice is messy … it's having sand thrown at your face. You do not want it in your eyes. Googles are a must but we use them regardless. If you want to try it start with medium or fine.
Seems like a lot of messing around to me, especially when good old Yorkshire grit is available, and does an excellent job in finishing and polishing wood and acrylic

Mike

Pierre---

I did, for French polish. When the wood is open-pored, you first rub a mix of pumice and shellac (and alcohol for a better penetration) to fill the pores. In the same time, pumice sand the wood to the last shine. We have a very thin grain cald ponce-soie, silk pumice, for that. The pumice takes the color of the wood when rubbing it ; it fills the pores, the shellac glues it in. Then, it is possible to lay the first shellac layer on a good base, and the pumice scratches won't show. I think it is quite specific for French polish.

Top Bottom