Delta 46-460 help needed... with changing mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This is a really dumb question.... I picked up this delta 46-460- a display model leftover from a going out of business store in town. It didnt come with tools or an operating manual or spur centers .. just a live center.
I really dont want to wreck this so I was wondering if someone could talk me through setup as it is a little different than my old reliable turncrafter.
I tried to put my pen mandrel in the head stock and just cant figure out how to get it to tighten around the mandrel.:mad:

The mandrel slipping right out of the head.... not sure how to lock it in.... Can anyone help??? this is the last time I buy a closeout lathe with no tools or operating manual with my limited lathe experience.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

The 46-460 is a MT2. Maybe you have an MT-1? If you go here you can download a manual, specs and more.

Alzey

The Delta is a Morse Taper 2 for both the head stock and tail stock. I take it by your comment that you pen mandrel is probably a MT1.

I set my belt on the 3rd ring and turn and sand at max speed. I then move the belt to the middle and apply 1 coat of BLO and many coats of CA at minimal speed for that belt (Dial at 1). I then wet sand at Dial speed 5 with the belt still in the middle.

When I drill on the lathe I set the belt in the first ring and Dial at 1 and drill at the minimal speed for the lathe.

I use a collet system on the head stock and a mandrel saver in the tail stock. I bought some size "D" drill rod as the mandrel and made some other tools to turn with.

You should be able to find the manual on-line some where.

Thank you everyone,

I think you guys are right... MT2 and I am trying to get a MT1 to fit. It makes sense now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the detailed help. I feel so stupid... Thanks everyone!

SteveG

Don't feel "stupid". You bought the lathe and were given a part that "should" fit and work. So with a little help here you are on the right track. The sales person was the stupid one.

Congratulations on getting a mighty fine lathe. You will really like it once you get to know it!

Steve

Curly

Thank you everyone,

I think you guys are right... MT2 and I am trying to get a MT1 to fit. It makes sense now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with the detailed help. I feel so stupid... Thanks everyone!

You can get an adapter to let you use the mandrel you have in your new toy. You can get them from your favourite supplier. Here is an example.
G5713 Morse Taper Sleeve - MT2/MT1

Andrew_K99

I'm currently going through the same process. I upgraded my lathe and the morse taper and head stock thread sizes are different.

Using a morse taper sleeve is an opinion but keep in mind that it does add another element that could cause out of round issues. For the $20-$30 it might be worth getting a new pen mandrel.

I plan on using a collet chuck in the near future so I opted to buy one now and use it to hold my pen mandrel. This is an option if you ever plan to try kitless.

AK

Top Bottom