Deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I've heard you should wear a respirator when turning it, I can imagine it smells, isn't it like our fingernails?
Some people can be allergic to bone dust and in some rare cases, bone marrow might have particles that are not conducive to good health in allergy prone bodies. I wear a respirator when turning, period. In the beginning, I didn't and then one day dust, wood and fume particles attacked my sinuses big time.

randyrls

Not difficult at all IMHO. Some of it smells.

If not exactly straight, here is a link on drilling non-straight antler:

Hank; That video shows a good technique. For many years I helped a friend dress deer carcasses during the first hectic days of deer season. I offered the hunter to make a pen from an end tine of the rack and the used shell.

Think of a closed end pen. I put a plate with a divot in it on the drill press, extended the drill bit and set the drill stop. Adjusted the plate while sighting down the tine so the bit would be inside the tine. Drilled holding a tine with slip joint pliers and a rag to prevent marring the tine. Glue brass tube into tine and put the transmission into the shell with a fresh bullet.

keithbyrd

I've heard you should wear a respirator when turning it, I can imagine it smells, isn't it like our fingernails?
I have turned a bunch of antler - and it generally smells! USE A RESPIRATOR - antler dust is nasty on your lungs - I have been told that it has little hooks on the particle that make it impossible to get out of your lungs! Don't know if that is true or not but play it safe.

Top Bottom