Stabilized Black Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I tried stabilized black palm for the first time. I used it with the new Maple Leaf Chrome and Gunmetal rollerball kit from William Wood-Write. Although the black palm was stabilized it proved to be a challenge to prevent it from chipping or cracking. So, liberal doses of thin CA were needed at regular intervals. Despite that I am quite pleased with the result. It was sanded to 400 and then I usd Yorkshire Grit. The finish is Shellawax friction polish topped with some hard wax.

Attachments

• 2023-11-29_10-51-00.jpg
    2023-11-29_10-51-00.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 2023-11-29_10-51-47.jpg
    2023-11-29_10-51-47.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 71
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Graham

I share your issues with black Palm. Splinters if you lose concentration for even a minute !

Looks good though ! Nice work

d_bondi

Nice looking pen Graham.

I have made a few pens with Black Palm, but never stabilized. After drilling and cutting the corners off on my bandsaw, I soak them with thin CA before using epoxy to glue in the tubes. That way I get the CA to penetrate from the outside to the inside. After letting this cure naturally (no accelerator) I turn them. Because of the drastically different hardness of the hard dark fibers and the punky lighter matrix, I stop turning earlier on this wood and do more sanding. I have only used CA to Finish them and have had pretty good luck.

Fun fact, did you know that Black Palm is actually in the grass family?

sorcerertd

I must have just been lucky in turning it as I have never stabilized. That or my tools aren't as dull as I think they are? This wand even turned out OK without a brass tube to steady it on the lathe. It does make a nice looking pen (or wand, or...?)

BP.wand.jpg

Fun fact, did you know that Black Palm is actually in the grass family?
I knew this. It's really tall grass!

Lew

I've never stabilized mine either, but generous use of thin CA while turning definitely helps. Although it's tough to turn, everyone who has gotten one of my black palm pens loves it.

Top Bottom