Decisions for the wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Weaselrunner

We are planning on trying our 1st craft show in a couple months. With some pushing from me, she started learning to turn on my rikon midi, to help keep me from burning out. Still a little unsure but progressing nicely. Been knocking the idea around about getting her, her own. In talking with her, she has said she didn't want a tiny lathe (a mini). Rockler has a 1 hp jet midi on sale. But I've seen the Nova comet 2 on line. Have also thought about just getting a 2nd Rockler. Must have the Mt 2 taper. Want to keep it under a grand( as much as possible). I hope she will develop a love of turning, the more she gets into it. Not to mention the help it will give me.
I love my rikon and it has put up with all my beginners mistakes, but also thinking about something she might be a little more comfortable with.
What say the group.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

We are planning on trying our 1st craft show in a couple months. With some pushing from me, she started learning to turn on my rikon midi, to help keep me from burning out. Still a little unsure but progressing nicely. Been knocking the idea around about getting her, her own. In talking with her, she has said she didn't want a tiny lathe (a mini). Rockler has a 1 hp jet midi on sale. But I've seen the Nova comet 2 on line. Have also thought about just getting a 2nd Rockler. Must have the Mt 2 taper. Want to keep it under a grand( as much as possible). I hope she will develop a love of turning, the more she gets into it. Not to mention the help it will give me.
I love my rikon and it has put up with all my beginners mistakes, but also thinking about something she might be a little more comfortable with.
What say the group.

Thanks in advance.
Well my Turncrafter from PSI has been my workhorse. Also has a 1hp motor and comes in at $490-$570 depending on size. My only wish for it would be if it was if I didn't have to swap belts to get the full range of it's variable speed. Position 1 gets you ~500-~1800, position 2 gets you ~1200 to ~3800.

jttheclockman

I am a Jet guy. Have a jet 1014 and a 12 20 but both are VS that is a must. Both are MT #2. Rikon is not a bad lathe either.

RGABEL

Wife and I took a pen turning class at Rockler a few years ago. Walked out with a Laguna Revo 12/16 (along with other needed turning items). I love the variable speed option and have had no issues with it. Listing for $999 right now and unfortunately they just had their 10% off sale. This is an 1-8TPI and M2 taper.

bugradx2

As someone who's been learning the craft over the last year I have become envious of my friends who have the ability to change speeds by turning a dial instead of moving a belt every time I need to change. I would wholeheartedly say get something variable speed. I've been very actively looking at different options on lathes with a similar budget and keep coming back to the Jet 1221 because of the settings on the belt speed vs the pulleys. It's got a really wide range of speeds across the pulleys. I've not seen any other manufacturer who can mimic their speed settings.

After that, similar to you I'm looking at motor size, turning (bowl & spindle) size and I really like how deep/wide the bed is too.

derekdd

Well my Turncrafter from PSI has been my workhorse. Also has a 1hp motor and comes in at $490-$570 depending on size. My only wish for it would be if it was if I didn't have to swap belts to get the full range of it's variable speed. Position 1 gets you ~500-~1800, position 2 gets you ~1200 to ~3800.
I agree. I bought a 10" Turncrafter used last year and have cranked out well over 100 pens on it this year. Works great. A little bit of slop in the tailpiece but it's a wonderful little machine.

I will upgrade to a Jet 1221 VS probably this year.

d_bondi

As someone who's been learning the craft over the last year I have become envious of my friends who have the ability to change speeds by turning a dial instead of moving a belt every time I need to change. I would wholeheartedly say get something variable speed. I've been very actively looking at different options on lathes with a similar budget and keep coming back to the Jet 1221 because of the settings on the belt speed vs the pulleys. It's got a really wide range of speeds across the pulleys. I've not seen any other manufacturer who can mimic their speed settings.

After that, similar to you I'm looking at motor size, turning (bowl & spindle) size and I really like how deep/wide the bed is too.

Just to add some detail to Kent's comment, the point is that the Jet has 3 belt positions, but, for pen turning, you can accomplish everything you need (at least I have) without moving the belt.

The different positions are 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600. I leave it on the last one 220-3600.

If I ever decide to turn something larger like a bowl, I can move the belt to another pulley set to get the torque necessary.

bugradx2

Just to add some detail to Kent's comment, the point is that the Jet has 3 belt positions, but, for pen turning, you can accomplish everything you need (at least I have) without moving the belt.

The different positions are 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600. I leave it on the last one 220-3600.

If I ever decide to turn something larger like a bowl, I can move the belt to another pulley set to get the torque necessary.
Thanks David - I'd meant to highlight that point too. I have a friend who's shown me how to turn who lives nearby who's made pens for years and has never moved the belt off the same pulley.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. I'm a happy JET 1221VS user too! As others have already stated, I leave the belt on the 220-3600 pulley as well.

I did upgrade my tool rest to a "cup" shaped one from Rockler ($35), and added Rockler's Dust Right Lathe Dust Collection System (another $100). Then I bought Rick Herrell's Tailstock Banjo Clamp as an upgrade which was one of the best decisions I've ever made (only $15). Rick also makes some pretty sweet tool rests but I already had mine from Rockler from a previous lathe. And, finally, I kluged together a stand for a LED worklight so I could position it right over the workpiece.

So far it has been a great tool! - Dave

sorcerertd

I'm happy with both of my Jets (1015 and 1221vs). They go on sale several times a year for 10% off, and I bought mine last May for 15% off. I will also say that I almost never change the belt location on the 1221. According to the digital readout, it goes down well below 200 on the 220-3600 pulley.

You mention the Nova Comet II... you will find a hard time beating the features and getting a 14" swing for that price, but they have been known to have problems with the switches. Apparently they go bad due to overheating. I would hope that has been remedied in recent years, but my father had that problem with his. I made a pen and a bowl on it to try my hand at turning (look at me now), and found it to be a nice lathe. I can't compare it to most other brands, though.

Last edited:

Hippie3180

I have the Jet 1221VS 1HP variable speed Midi Lathe and love it. It retails at $999 but can be found for 10% or 15% off when Jet runs promotions through either Rockler or Woodcraft.

Edit... it is MT2
Same and if I may say, I'm a female turner and love it. The variable speed is a must for me, and it's a workhorse.

Pen Joe

@derekdd, I have a Turncraft also, bought out a fellow tooling and a lot of pen kits and other things, had some slop in the tail stock also so I made this on the Metal Lathe, cured that problem,

TDahl

I am going to also recommend the Turncrafter Commander from PSI. I have had mine for over 10 years now and it is still going strong. If you do your own maintenance, they are very easy to work on, and PSI is very good to work with regarding lathe related issues (just ask to speak with Kenny from Technical Support.) The Turncrafter Commander has consistently been in the Top 5 of most independent reviews (i.e. Fine Woodwroking Magazine) during the last 10 years, and has been considered the "Best Value" option.

WriteON

Wife wanted to go out to rockler tonight to get some blanks. I hit her with the idea and we and came home with the jet 1221 variable speed and the stand. Got it together and got her set up and she's off and turning.
Thanks for all the input from everyone.
You bought right the first time. Have fun together

derekdd

@derekdd, I have a Turncraft also, bought out a fellow tooling and a lot of pen kits and other things, had some slop in the tail stock also so I made this on the Metal Lathe, cured that problem,
This, what?

I'm curious what you made to eliminate the slop.

Weaselrunner

Ok folks. In 24 hours, I have had a pen mandrel to get jammed twice and had to resort to torch and hammer to get them out. Now Trying to remove the live center for the first time and it will not budge. I have taken out the quill and put it in a vice and using the knock out bar and finally after the face/cup came off the live stock. A steel rod and a hammer in the vice and it still won't budge. Oh and spraying with penatrating oil. It's about to go back..
JET 1221 variable speed. Purchased last night from rockler
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

jttheclockman

Ok folks. In 24 hours, I have had a pen mandrel to get jammed twice and had to resort to torch and hammer to get them out. Now Trying to remove the live center for the first time and it will not budge. I have taken out the quill and put it in a vice and using the knock out bar and finally after the face/cup came off the live stock. A steel rod and a hammer in the vice and it still won't budge. Oh and spraying with penatrating oil. It's about to go back..
JET 1221 variable speed. Purchased last night from rockler
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you saying you bought a Jet 1221 and these are happening to the new lathe?? If so there is something wrong. Are the tools MT2? Is the lathe a MT2? Are there burrs on either the tools or inside the tapers? Was this a new lathe or a reconditioned one. Something is not right. You never need to jam the mandrel or the live center in the taper. They are finger tight fits. I highly suggest that you also use a nylon washer between any chuck you screw on the headstock or you will be coming here complaining about not getting it loose. Run your finger in the taper and see if there is a lip in there. There should not be and it should be smooth. May want to add a little Vaseline in there till you break it in. But again just do not see it.

d_bondi

I agree with John. I have had my Jet 1221VS for about 18 months and have never had anything stick in either the head stock or tail stock.

How are you inserting the mandrel and live center? They do not need to be pressed in with anything other than your hand. How much pressure are you putting on the tail stock when you use the live center?

Weaselrunner

The live center came already in place. As far as the pen mandrel, we've both used the same mandrels in my rikon without any issues. Both are mt2. One other reason for getting it.

jttheclockman

The live center came already in place. As far as the pen mandrel, we've both used the same mandrels in my rikon without any issues. Both are mt2. One other reason for getting it.
Did you rotate the hand wheel in reverse to remove the live center? Did it stop spinning because it would not eject the live center. If it did then you should be able to use the knock out bar that comes with the lathe and pop it out from that point. The spur drive for the headstock, did you try inserting that and was that also very hard to eject?. If this is the case then you need to return or you are doing something wrong. Never are those to be that difficult and as I said they are hand inserted with no pressure applied. Now if the lathe has been sitting in a damp location maybe some rust got in the spindles and or on the live center. The mandrel was yours so that is not the case but look inside and see if you see a nice shiny surface. Something is just not right. Anyway I would take it back because they owe you a live center and have them look at it and try it. Rockler is pretty good to deal with. I am surprised the lathe came with the live center in the spindle already. Usually that stuff is separately packed as accessories.

Just read on another site that the live center that comes with the lathe is a piece of junk. The knock out bar actually goes right through the center and when you hit it pops the cap off. I suggest you get a better live center. On the site they said they had to take the quill out of the tailstock and put in vice just as you did. Rust seems to be the problem. Unless you can get a rod that can catch the edge of the center instead of going through the hole you have a chance of knocking out. here is the link to the thread I am talking about. from 2016 they have had this problem. Might need to do a little buffing inside the spindles. In any case take it back and have them give you a break on a good live center. Do not take no for an answer. May need to sand down your mandrel end also because any rust or dirt will lock it up. I am a big fan of PB Blaster to free things up.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/threads/help-removing-a-live-center.157898/

Last edited:

Weaselrunner

We have a new dead and live center coming in, same ones I have. I have a RIKON midi and have never had any such issues. The centers came pressed in place. The dead center was not that difficult. On my Rikon, just a few hand taps is enough to eject the live center, and retracting the quill is enough to pop the live center out. Yesterday the Hand wheel assembly actually unscrewed while I was trying the same thing with the jet. The live center never budged. Had to walk away last night before putting out the sledgehammer and going to town on it. When I looked thru the head and didn't see anything that I could tell, before putting the mandrel in the 2nd time.

sorcerertd

Interesting. The 1221 I bought last year didn't come with a live center. I don't know if it was supposed to, but it was new in a sealed box (not re-taped/double taped). :/

monophoto

There are adjustments inside the speed control box that allow you to tweak the upper and lower ends of the speed range.

My experience is that if you are turning pens, you can probably get away with doing everything on the higher belt settings, while the lower belt setting pretty much covers the entire speed range that you might want for turning other items.

jttheclockman

We have a new dead and live center coming in, same ones I have. I have a RIKON midi and have never had any such issues. The centers came pressed in place. The dead center was not that difficult. On my Rikon, just a few hand taps is enough to eject the live center, and retracting the quill is enough to pop the live center out. Yesterday the Hand wheel assembly actually unscrewed while I was trying the same thing with the jet. The live center never budged. Had to walk away last night before putting out the sledgehammer and going to town on it. When I looked thru the head and didn't see anything that I could tell, before putting the mandrel in the 2nd time.
Well as I said being those jets are not made in the USA they could be sitting in a warehouse in humid conditions and rust can build up. Not sure but from the photos it looks like that live center is painted black and if there is paint on the shaft that could be a problem. As I said I have the 1014 and the 1220vs models and they were the models before each one had a make over. and they now call a different number 1015 and 1221 never had a problem.

egnald

Wow. That really sucks. My 1221VS has been going strong for many years without any kid of problems like these. Could you tell if it was "factory fresh" or did you get one that had been out on the floor for display? Just wondering if someone could have jammed something in the tapers or jammed it up by cranking it closed too tightly or something like that if it was on the floor and was vulnerable? I hope you can get it resolved quickly and satisfactorily. I also hope it hasn't soured your opinion of the JET model, because I think they are really good tools. - Dave

Darios

There are adjustments inside the speed control box that allow you to tweak the upper and lower ends of the speed range.

My experience is that if you are turning pens, you can probably get away with doing everything on the higher belt settings, while the lower belt setting pretty much covers the entire speed range that you might want for turning other items.
I found that on the forums somewhere and saved off the instructions. It's just I like to turn at a higher speed but finish on a slower

Weaselrunner

Well another 120 mile round trip. Wife Called rockler right at 11 am. A guy we had seen and talked to during our 3 trips out there this weekend. Said bring it in, they had 1 left in the box. We got there and put it on a rolling cart and took it to the classroom. He looked it over, tried the live center, didn't get any further than I did. We put it on the floor. Opened up the new box put it on the table, checked it out, did what it was supposed to do. Loaded it up, Wife bought another $50 of acrylic blanks.
Hopefully no more problems.

Weaselrunner

Are you saying you bought a Jet 1221 and these are happening to the new lathe?? If so there is something wrong. Are the tools MT2? Is the lathe a MT2? Are there burrs on either the tools or inside the tapers? Was this a new lathe or a reconditioned one. Something is not right. You never need to jam the mandrel or the live center in the taper. They are finger tight fits. I highly suggest that you also use a nylon washer between any chuck you screw on the headstock or you will be coming here complaining about not getting it loose. Run your finger in the taper and see if there is a lip in there. There should not be and it should be smooth. May want to add a little Vaseline in there till you break it in. But again just do not see it.
I'd get banned for what I would love to say to you. You come across in a very condescending manner.

d_bondi

I work at a wd, I know what the straps are for. But it's a good sign that the carton had never been opened since shipping.

Hi Ken, I didn't intend to imply anything about your knowledge of the straps and/or their purpose. Just noting that they can be replaced and not just at the factory. I have had such a good experience with my Jet 1221VS and am sorry that your experience is starting off on such a bad note. I hope you are able to get it sorted out quickly.

jttheclockman

I'd get banned for what I would love to say to you. You come across in a very condescending manner.
What the heck are you talking about I tried to help you. This is what you get for trying to help someone. I would like for you to point out where I was rude to you? If you want to send me PM and curse me out I would like to hear where I was rude to you. I tried to give you any help I could. None of it was to insult your intelligence if that is what you are after. I see you took David Bondi's comments as insulting too. Maybe you are a little too sensitive.

Last edited:

bugradx2

Wife wanted to go out to rockler tonight to get some blanks. I hit her with the idea and we and came home with the jet 1221 variable speed and the stand. Got it together and got her set up and she's off and turning.
Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Fantastic! - was my original response and then I read the rest of the thread.

I am sorry you had such trouble with the first lathe and hope this next one runs perfectly. Thank you for sharing the issues you had so the rest of us are educated on possible issues.

Top Bottom