Dead Finish Custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

This is a piece of Dead Finish I milled last week, on a bit of a FrankenPen.
Its got a Slimline chassis, with a homemade 316 stainless centerband and finial cap, and a Cigar clip.
I think it needs the proportions refined a bit, but I think it has got potential.
The upper barrel is too long I think, maybe 5 or 6mm shorter would make a difference to the overall look.

Critique welcome.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9340.jpg
    DSC_9340.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC_9342.jpg
    DSC_9342.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_9345.jpg
    DSC_9345.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 572
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I really like your "Frankenpen". I think you're right that the upper barrel is too long. But you might also use a euro tube for the lower barrel to add some length.

My only criticism (and a small criticism) is the slimline nosecone. Maybe a funline nosecone would be a better fit with a smoother taper. Or do a custom nosecone out of the same 316 stainless that compliments the centerband.

But overall, I do like the pen. I think the centerband is outstanding. :good:

Ironwood

Thanks for your thoughts Bob.
This one was a bit of a rush job, as I wanted to finish it before I locked the shed up for the night. The next one will have the benefit of this ones experience. I do have some longer tubes, will look at them as well.

MRDucks2

Really like the center band and finial along with the cigar clip. A cigar nose may be the right answer, also, as the slimline seems to skinny/ abrupt for the rest of the Pen. I would guess about a 1/4 inch shorter on the upper half (about 6mm) or maybe shorter by the width of the center band you used.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

The top and bottom barrels do not seem to fit together. The top looks to be a cap that is removable to cap the nib end. I would adjust the diameter of the top and bottom so they are equal. Then I believe the lengths of the 2 parts would not be an issue. That center band is a real keeper, simple and effective, makes the pen look like a classic vintage ballpoint.

Ironwood

Really like the center band and finial along with the cigar clip. A cigar nose may be the right answer, also, as the slimline seems to skinny/ abrupt for the rest of the Pen. I would guess about a 1/4 inch shorter on the upper half (about 6mm) or maybe shorter by the width of the center band you used.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Cheers MrD. Probably a bit too much trouble to adapt a cigar nosecone to the 7mm tube, would be easier to manufacture a new one . I like your suggestions though, I think they would go a long way towards solving the issues.

Ironwood

The top and bottom barrels do not seem to fit together. The top looks to be a cap that is removable to cap the nib end. I would adjust the diameter of the top and bottom so they are equal. Then I believe the lengths of the 2 parts would not be an issue. That center band is a real keeper, simple and effective, makes the pen look like a classic vintage ballpoint.
It was my intention for the pen to give the impression that it had a cap. The whole design is a bit off the mark, but is was just a bit of an experiment to try while I had a bit of spare time.

I made one with equal diameter tubes just recently , a similar design centerband, but smaller diameter
http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...51699843-custom-grevillea-stylus-dsc_9219.jpg

magpens

It was my intention for the pen to give the impression that it had a cap. The whole design is a bit off the mark, but is was just a bit of an experiment to try while I had a bit of spare time.

I made one with equal diameter tubes just recently , a similar design centerband, but smaller diameter
http://www.penturners.org/forum/atta...s-dsc_9219.jpg
I think your design, with the larger diameter "cap" is extremely good ... NOT off the mark at all ... except the "cap" just might look a little bit better if shortened slightly ... and a custom nosecone would be nice ... you could then enter it in the BASH kitless contest !

I also very much like the previous design to which you refer ... it's a brilliant rejuvenation of the tired old slimline, for sure !!!

I don't get the meaning of "Dead Finish" ... have not met that term before ... does it mean "matte" or "unfinished" ? ... or does it refer to the use of wood from a particular source ?

Last edited:

dogcatcher

The other one is a keeper, I like it. The look of the removable cap idea had not crossed my mind, for some I think it would work, but old people like myself would continuously keep trying to pull it off to cap the nib nd,

Ironwood

I think your design, with the larger diameter "cap" is extremely good ... NOT off the mark at all ... except the "cap" just might look a little bit better if shortened slightly ... and a custom nosecone would be nice ... you could then enter it in the BASH kitless contest !

I also very much like the previous design to which you refer ... it's a brilliant rejuvenation of the tired old slimline, for sure !!!

I don't get the meaning of "Dead Finish" ... have not met that term before ... does it mean "matte" or "unfinished" ? ... or does it refer to the use of wood from a particular source ?
Thanks Mal. I really think if I was to go to much more trouble, I would be designing it to take a Parker refill. Will have a think about my next move.

Dead Finish is one of our scarcer timbers, very hard and very beautiful. I just finished cutting up some more blanks, I will take a pic and post it here later.

Here is some info about the tree
Dead Finish

Ironwood

Here are some of the blanks I cut up this morning. The blank used for the pen above came from the same log.
They are cut at 20mm x 20mm x 280mm ( a tad over 3/4" x 11" )

Wet down with water to show them better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9347.jpg
    DSC_9347.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_9350.jpg
    DSC_9350.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_9352.jpg
    DSC_9352.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 235

darrin1200

That is a great looking pen. I look forward to seeing the refined design.

I love that wood as well. I think I am going to need to see if I can add a few sticks to my collection. :)

Ironwood

That is a great looking pen. I look forward to seeing the refined design.

I love that wood as well. I think I am going to need to see if I can add a few sticks to my collection. :)
Thanks Darrin. Not sure when I will get the chance to make a start on MkII.

I was thinking about offering a few packs of blanks in the marketplace, postage might be a killer though.
I was about to ask where you bought that kit - much original thinking!
Thanks Tony. Not many would pick it for a Slimline.

magpens

Nice wood !! .. Similar in color and grain to Desert Ironwood from Arizona (I think).

Top Bottom