DCEZZPP or back in the shed part 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all,

This pen is made with a matched pair of segmented blanks that I made some time back. I cannot for the life of me remember what the wood is. It is quite purpleish and has a sharp smell while being turned. The grain is fairly straight. There is no finish, just buffed a bit. The white is just PR

I've included the off cut ends of the blanks just to show how the pattern goes all the way to the centre of the blank. I've shown how I cut these before, but if you haven't seen how, then take a guess, just for fun. Yes, they were segmented on a metal lathe with a router, but I assure you that they could just as easily be done with a box indexable jig. Have a guess or better still, have a go....... ;)
1.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Excellent Steven. I've always admired these segments. Especially the graduated thicknesses.

Still looking to build that articulating arm you sent photos of. :(

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
This pen is much more complicated than a much earlier pen of yours, but it reminds me of one from long ago. You are great with sequential increased/decreased spacing of contrasting material. ("Graduated Thickness:, Thanks Chuck, I forgot the correct term.) I have never forgotten that original pen. This one is awesome too.

Your original (posted on this forum): https://www.penturners.org/media/tricky-stripes.4905/

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Hank, nothing wrong with your memory !! That was almost 12 years ago!! ;)

The trick ( if there is one ) to cutting these zig zaggy ones is nothing to do with the use of metal lathes or mills, it's just figuring out how the cut or cutter needs to travel. Once you can get that in your mind, it's simply a case of work holding/indexing. With these zig zag styles, it took me ages to realise that the cut had to travel at an angle across the end of the blank. I mistakenly tried to make the cuts perpendicular to the end of the blank. This is ok if you want to zig zag join two spheres, like an egg shell. But of course we need the design to extend beyond just the surface. It then dawned on me that the actual angle value didn't matter as long as it was the same on both pieces that you wished to join. Aesthetically though, I chose around 25deg. This tends to keep the points looking like 90deg cuts.
I'm much better at making metal jigs and things, than with wood.;) That's why most of my stuff is done on metal machines. :D

Thanks guys.

lorbay

As usual Skip that's amazing. I did one a few years ago after being inspired by your pool cue pen. Even though you have X , Y and sometimes Z axis on your lathe there is so much thought as to have the router at the correct angle.
something you're a master at. Glad to see you back in the shop, which really inspires me.👍👍

leehljp

Member Liaison
Steven,

Many of us come upon a good design by chance at times. Some of us "see" in our mind's eye what we want, and sometimes it works out, but many (most? of the) times it doesn't. (My Experience speaking.) You have a great "minds eye" to see and bring to fruition what your mind sees! Thanks!

mick

Beautiful pen as always. Although I've been gone for awhile I still remember your fantastic works! From your description I'm thinking that might be Kingwood. I've had some with an almost purplish hue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jttheclockman

Correct me if i am wrong but I believe we have seen this design from the master before. His mind is still as sharp as a tack. a true master for sure.

Not a big fan of the zigzag design even though I know it is not an easy design to pull off unless you have a metal lathe and indexing. To set up a router on a wood lathe for that would not be easy. I will try the design Hank posted. That is a simple design and I forgot all about that one. I maybe able to do that with my guitar picks because I can stack them easier without cutting certain sizes. Thanks both to Skip and to Hank for bringing it back. Hope the guitar picks are large enough to use with that type kit because I like that kit. OK another pen on the list. Man this list needs to stop soon. Got back in the shop today after a few days away and started working on 3 pen designs. Hope I keep all designs seperate and not mix them up and come up with a Mutt of a pen. :)

Last edited:

howsitwork

Impressive work.

I am guessing indexed lengthwise as well as horizontal Skip ?

Using router cradle ?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ian, it's twenty to four at the moment......can't sleep :(
The pics in the linked thread show how I cut the segments.
what is perhaps not clear is that the router is mounted in the compound which travels at an angle.
Oh, and Mick was correct...it's Kingwood👍

jttheclockman

Oh I still got it. I knew I seen this before. The memory is still there. I tried looking for it but this new site is actually a pain in the butt to find things any more so I stop trying. One day I may make some sort of jig to hold a router on a wood lathe similar to what Skip shows but that is so far down on the list probably will never get done. Interesting concept though. Love to see others try things like this. Thanks for the photos Skip

howsitwork

Ian, it's twenty to four at the moment......can't sleep :(
The pics in the linked thread show how I cut the segments.
what is perhaps not clear is that the router is mounted in the compound which travels at an angle.
Oh, and Mick was correct...it's Kingwood👍

Thanks for that !

Sorry to hear that Skip, lack of sleep is a sod to deal with. Perhaps let her chase you around the garden a few times before you give in ??😂
enjoy this one anyway, off topic I know.

Attachments

• AD0BF13D-E72B-4D1C-AE03-E230B7C8EA91.png
    AD0BF13D-E72B-4D1C-AE03-E230B7C8EA91.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom