D.C. visit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapshooter

My wife and I are planning a short trip to D.C. with our 3 kids just before Easter, April 14 and 15. Is there anyone who can give me advice on what areas that would be a good place to stay? My wife was thinking the Arlington area. Also if you have any suggestions on where to stay away from during this time. We are planning to hit the usual memeorial spots. Any advice appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

Well, it is very draining emotionally, but you really need to take your family to the Holocaust Museum. Everyone should see it atleast once. Also, watching the guards change in Arlington is a very patriotic stop. Hope you have a safe trip. Everytime I visit D.C. I come home being so proud to be an American.[:)]

clewless

Using the DC Metro system is one of the best ways to get around the area. See link below.

I have friends who recently stayed in Rockville at a Best Western Suites or similar. Because of the heavy consultant traffic in the DC area, many places have a kitchenette included. Theirs was fab for less than $100./nite.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You'll probably want to stay further out than Arlington as it's pretty darned expensive. Rockville is on the metro as is Springfield, VA. In terms of places to see, you will probably catch the tail end of the Cherry Blossom bloom in the Tidal Basin at the Jefferson Memorial. This is a beautiful time of year to walk "The Mall". It runs from the Lincoln Memorial past the Viet Nam "wall", the Reflecting Pool, the back of the White House and Treasury Building, the Washington Monument and you can continue past 7, I think it's 7, of the Smithsonian Museums. Children under 12 tend to really like the Museum of Natural History. Wear comfortable shoes!!!

JimGo

Then of course there are the really cool local hardwood sellers, the local Woodcraft, and the like! Give us a shout as the weekend draws closer and maybe we can catch up.

wayneis

There is a Court House just a few blocks from the Mall that we stayed at a few years ago. It is just around the corner from the House of Blues and the Ford Theater, it used to be a bank at one time and still has the vault in it. I think that it may be pretty pricie now though. It was not priced bad at the time but I have no idea what they are charging now. The only problem is that there are no inexpensive places to eat right near. If you have not tryed Hot Wire or one of the hotel discount companies you should. That is how we reserve all of our rooms now and we always get nice places and a very reduced rate. Like someone already said, learn the metro system as its the best way to get around, also the cheapest.

Make sure that you take the tour around the sites at night, all the memorials are lit up at night and the site is amazing. We went to D.C. like I said a few years ago at blossom time, I had been to D.C. many times before but this turned out to be my favorite vacation of all. We spent two weeks and never came close to seeing everything so don't try it can't be done. If you have boys then the Air and Space museum will be a huge hit.

Have fun, I wish it were me going I love that City.

Wayne

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd second (or third it looks like) the Rockville suggestion. The Shady Grove Metro station is, I believe right off Shady Grove Rd. near the 270 interchange. You're coming from Ohio, so you'll go right by there on the way in. Lots of hotels and food there too. Take the Metro in, don't drive in the district!!! It's very convenient and cheap. From Shady Grove, for example, you can get to the National Zoo in about 25 minutes for a couple bucks without a train change (Red Line to Woodley Park Station, then a 10 min walk up Connecticut Ave)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jckossoy
<br />The Holocaust Museum may be closed for Passover on those days, but there's still lots to do.

Kol Tov,

If you can get into the Holocost Museum I would recommend it. I doubt that you will ever be the same once you go through it. What really hit home with me was the thousands of shoes. (those who have been there know what I'm speaking of). One word of caution, some of it might be too much for small childern.

whatwoodido

The National Zoo is pretty similar to the Cleveland Zoo (different animals), though the price is much better, Free.

The Air and Space Museum is the favorite of 10 to teens, especially boys.

Contact you Congressman and Senator to try to get tickets for a White House tour.

National History Museum is great if you are into trains, cars, technology, or just a fan of US history.

Natural History is pretty cool, particularly, the Insect Zoo and the Dinosaur Exhibit, if you are anti-Evolution, you might want to skip this though, they are scientists and present what I feel is a fair and straight forward approach to natural history, but that means evolution (I have personally seen/heard people criticize the exhibits with references to evolution, as being full of lies and anti-bible).

The new Native American Museum, is the newest and either gets raves or rants. Several people I have spoken to really dislike the layout of the exhibits. The contents of the exhibits are nice from all accounts, but the lack of logical layout has rankled the feathers of most.

The East and West Galleries of art are pretty nice though generally not well received by children in their early teens or younger.

The don't miss gallery for woodworkers in the Renwick, 17th and Pennsylvania.

The sleeper galleries are the Freer, the Sackler, and the African Art, all of which are very close to the Castle.

The Vietnam War Memorial is not appropriate for children that can't appreciate what it stands for, there are always people present that are morning an loss and visitors of all ages need to respect that it is a solemn place. I have seen the hurt on the face of people mourning the loss of friends and loved ones when children who are disrespectful are present. I personally think it shows how poor some people are at parenting.

The Korean War Memorial, and the FDR memorial should be seen at night, there is no way to explain the difference if you don't see it for yourself.

Take one of the tour mobiles or DC Duck or something, you will get a lot more out of the trip that way.

Union Station or the Old Post Office Pavilion are good places to grab a bite to eat.

The Holocaust Museum is not appropriate for small children, I doubt my kids will be allowed to go until they are at least 12 to 14. The contents of the museum do not always contain all of the information and at times the omissions are significant. The information presented is accurate, with the exception of what is omitted. I greatly recommend that anyone that visits the museum do some independent reading and research afterwards to get a more rounded understanding of the full tragedy of the Holocaust.

Drew

clewless

Drew,

Your reply was so comprehensive, that I copied it to save it for when I need to visit DC with international friends.

You should open a tour business.

JimGo

Drew's comment reminded me that one of the other big draws is the gem exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. Very popular with the ladies (LOTS of expensive jewelery).

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Drew's comment reminded me that one of the other big draws is the gem exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. Very popular with the ladies (LOTS of expensive jewelery).

Jim, are you telling me that PENS...

"aren't a girls' best friend"

-Peter-[:eek:)]

whatwoodido

I have been in DC far too long. The problem is that there is really so much to do that it is hard to get even a fraction of it out. And I didn't even suggest anything in the 'burbs.

For woodworkers there are several good shops that should be investigated, not to mention a few clubs that appreciate visitors.

This is a great shop for wood in the area www.exoticlumberinc.com others abound as well.

My local Capital Area Woodturners welcomes visitors, we have the largest local in the nation, 230 or so members. And according to the demonstrators that come to visit one of the best setups in the nation as well. We meet the second Saturday of each month.

jckossoy

I just remembered that the Air and Space Museum Annex is in Chantilly, VA.

Also, the final 4, George Mason University is in Fairfax. Had to plug it, I went there for a while and my brother-in-law goes there.

Kol Tov,

Trapshooter

Thanks for all the great advice. We will be staying in the Rockville area using the Metro transportation.

Our children are ages 4,6 and 8 so at least this trip we will skip the Holocost museum. This will defenitly be a future stop for us.

Our oldest daughter Likes Lincoln alot so we will be visiting the Lincoln memorial as well as Ford's Theater. I will make sure we do the night tour. Last time I was there was when I was a senior in the 200+ strong Columbian high school marching band representing Ohio in the Cherry Blossom Parade, 26 years later I'm sure there are many changes.

Jim, about catching up, sounds good, my wife says I can come out and play. We have added a day to the beginning of this trip for some conversation and to see more. I'll drop you an email this weekend.

woodwish

I was just through there yesterday as a tourist, small world. I was on the way back from NYC for a week by charter bus with my class (10-12 grade, video productions class) when we had a bus problem outside of DC. The bus dropped us by the WWII memorial and picked us back up 4 hours later, after repairs. Turns out to be a great diversion on the 24-hour trip home to Florida. I turned the kids loose to wander around and it was interesting to hear their comments when they gathered back up.

Many went to the Holocaust museum and enjoyed the experience, very educational for them. Others wandered in and out of the various Smithsonians, Science and Technology was by far the favorite. Most were not that impressed with Air & Space but most have also been to the Pensacola Naval Air museum which is much bigger. They had already given out all the tickets to the Engraving and Printing tour for the day (next to Holocaust) but several of my students fast-talked their way into taggin along anyway.

Lincon memorial is beautiful at night, as is the Jefferson. WWII is beautiful but some of the ommissions due to political correctness bothers me personally. To the aveage person I think the Korean Memorial is probably the most moving with visual impact.

Like many of you on this board (guessing by the average age) I have the names of many close friends on the Vietnam wall. Every time I am there I spend time trying to heal some painful wounds and someone was right that kids don't always recognize that. On the other hand the laughter of kids around that horrible memorial seems to add a degree of reality. My students know how I feel and we have talked about the memorial and that everyone of those names represents someone's brother, father, or son. Several of my students respectfully visited the Wall, and one group even talked with another vet that agreed to a short interview on video. I think it will make a good documentary when finished.

4, 6, and 8 are a totally different age than the ones I had so much of this was just me rambling I guess, but after 166 hours with a bus full of 48 teenagers what can you expect? My real advice is to just take some nice walks around the Mall, stop where you can but don't expect them to appreciate like you do. What they will remember is the walk in the grassy areas, maybe flying a kite on the Mall, a few big things in the Smithsonian, watching the ducks in the reflecting pool, etc. The names on the Wall probably won't mean much to them now, and I pray they never have to have a Wall for their generation.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom