Cutting tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EG Mac

What is the best way to cut tubes to length that leaves the ends looking like the came in the kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used a tubing cutter to cut and a combination reamer/chamfer tool for smooth out the ends.

I cannot find that chamfer/reamer tool for sale anymore, but it might be available somewhere. I can't remember if I got it at Arizonasilhouette.com or the LittleMachineship.com

It is basically a 3 inch long bullet looking steel slug about 5/8 inches in diameter with reamer on one end and chamfer on the other end. VERY handy for cleaning up tubing end flares and crimps.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I use this, I keep a piece of 220 sandpaper on one of those floor glides used for moving heavy furniture...smooth on one side, rubber on the other. I put the sandpaper on the rubber side..It has a little "give" and I press and rotate the end of the tube on the sandpaper after cutting.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

I have one at home and another at the blind center.

Last edited:

Pen Joe

I use what sbwertz uses, then get a 45 degree hand held reamer to trim the end inside bevel works great.

SteveG

Like dogcatcher, cutting a bit log, then trimming works great. To trim, I just use the jig for squaring the ends of the finished blank on a disk &/or belt sander. This is very controllable, and yields a nice, clean and square result.

Jolly Red

I cut them slightly long with my pen blank cutting jig on the bandsaw, then use a squaring jig on the sander to square the end and get to the final size. Then i use a chamfering/reaming tool I got which is used for trimming bullet casings for refillers. I also use it after squaring the blank with the sanding jig.

robersonjr

I use my Proxxon Mini Chop Miter Saw, it does an excellent job. I made a stop block so I can make repeated cuts without having to measure every time.

BKelley

Like robersonjr, I use the Proxxon chop saw with the non ferrous cut off disc and I fabricated a stop that gives me the same length tube on the money each cut. I tried numerous methods, but this gives the me the fastest and dead on accuracy of any thing I've used.

Ben

leehljp

Member Liaison
I cut on my bandsaw and clean up with disc sander. I too use the reamer Hank talks about. :):)

Stole this photo from an older post of PenPal

200741191416_DSCF0007-1.jpg

That's it! Thanks John! Very Handy!

mecompco

I cut them slightly long with my pen blank cutting jig on the bandsaw, then use a squaring jig on the sander to square the end and get to the final size. Then i use a chamfering/reaming tool I got which is used for trimming bullet casings for refillers. I also use it after squaring the blank with the sanding jig.

I do it this way myself, though I just make a mark and eye-ball it on the band saw. The sanding disc lets you sneak up on exactly the correct length. I use a chamfer tool from Harbor Freight.

pturley

View in Gallery

Woodpeckers Pen Mill Ci will shave unsupported brass tubing without issues. Even with a slimline, the carbide inserts completely cover and cut the ends of the tubes. No deburring required.

I've been making semi-tubeless clicker pencils (w/o center bands) by drilling a 4" long blank, then only inserting the tubes 1/2" or so on each end.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

randyrls

I use a small block as a Tubing Cutter. It works in conjunction with my blank cutter. The blank cutter has a screw hold down. You will still have to use one of the cartridge reamers posted earlier to clean up the inside and outside cut edge.

Just a 1" or so wood blank about 3" long.
Note the hole is offset toward the bottom and front edge.

View in Gallery

This is the side that faces my table saw blade. The first use cuts the kerf in the front. It just has to be high enough to cut thru the brass tube.

View in Gallery

This is the top side of the cutter. Handy to use and any length brass tube can be cut.

View in Gallery

Woodchipper

Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's should carry the cartridge reamer as should any good gun shop that carries reloading supplies. I use it on all my pen tubes after they have been squared; just a couple light turns will do it. Removes any burrs.

1shootist

I use this, I keep a piece of 220 sandpaper on one of those floor glides used for moving heavy furniture...smooth on one side, rubber on the other. I put the sandpaper on the rubber side..It has a little "give" and I press and rotate the end of the tube on the sandpaper after cutting.

Good afternoon,
Have you by chance ever had to replace the round cuttoff blade ?
Mine needs a replacement desperately and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the screw thats holding the blade on...It turns with the blade.

jttheclockman

Good afternoon,
Mine needs a replacement desperately and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the screw thats holding the blade on...It turns with the blade.

Just like with a large table saw you need to chock the blade to remove the screw or nut. Use a piece of scrap wood to jam somewhere to hold the blade back. Sometimes they have arbor locks but I doubt this thing does but look anyway. Just make sure you replace the blade in the right direction so make note when taking off. That blade you could probably hold with your hand if you use a glove.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I use a small block as a Tubing Cutter. It works in conjunction with my blank cutter. The blank cutter has a screw hold down. You will still have to use one of the cartridge reamers posted earlier to clean up the inside and outside cut edge.

Just a 1" or so wood blank about 3" long.
Note the hole is offset toward the bottom and front edge.

View in Gallery

This is the side that faces my table saw blade. The first use cuts the kerf in the front. It just has to be high enough to cut thru the brass tube.

View in Gallery

This is the top side of the cutter. Handy to use and any length brass tube can be cut.

View in Gallery

Cool...a mini miterbox

sbwertz

Good afternoon,

Harbor Freight has them in two or three packs.
I didn't have any problem changing it.
Can you grasp the blade with a pair of pliers to keep it from turning? Or lower it down against a piece of wood to act as a brake?

Last edited:
Top Bottom