Cutting Brass Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron McKinley

How is the best way to cut brass penmaking tubes without distorting the pieces. I've screwed up a few pens and have salvaged the parts but buying extra brass tubes by the set is expensive so I bought a set of 5 ten-inch long tubes so how do I cut them to size? I tried it with a small pipe cutter used for cutting copper pipe but that didn't work out. Thanks in advance.......Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Thanks Butch. This was my first post and I'm not familiar with the software yet.....Ron

No problem , I hope the other post helps , I really like that little saw from HF for cutting tubes but like I said don't expect it to do much else . For cutting all but the largest tubes it works great and gives a nice clean cut , and it's on sale right now for $25 , great price ,.

Welcome to the group by the way .

gr8danish

Personally, I think the 6" bench top cut-off saw they have on sale for $29.99 is a much more all-around useful tool.

I use it to cut through all sorts of materials including heavy-duty phenolics, acrylics, copper, aluminum, etc...

PenMan1

An arrow shaft cutter that can be bought for next to nothing at an archery shop works like a champ. I think the cost was $6.

DurocShark

I have a beat-to-crap blade on my bandsaw that I use for soft metals. Or if a good blade is on there, my 8" chop saw does the duty with a carbide blade. WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION! WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

That's worth saying a few times...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Small Saw

After about losing three fingers on my left hand a couple of years ago in a debate with a 10 inch table saw....I will tell you that a table saw of any size in no place to be cutting somthing like pen tubes. The little cutoff saw designed for the task is much better. I wouldn't want to use my 10 inch mitre saw for that either, it's getting the fingers too close to the blade for comfort. Scroll saw with the right blade might work.

DurocShark

I don't do jack next to a blade. I use clamps to hold stuff in place. I'm a wimp. If my fingers are 4" away, I'm skeered.

The only place I don't seem to have any fear is the bandsaw for some reason.

ldb2000

Personally, I think the 6" bench top cut-off saw they have on sale for $29.99 is a much more all-around useful tool.

I use it to cut through all sorts of materials including heavy-duty phenolics, acrylics, copper, aluminum, etc...

The problem with that saw is the blade (cut off disc) takes way too much material away . The little saw can cut the tubes to any size with almost no waste .
With that 6" saw be very careful to follow the Max RPM ratings for your blades . That saw runs a couple of thousand RPM's above what most small blades are rated at .

gr8danish

The problem with that saw is the blade (cut off disc) takes way too much material away . The little saw can cut the tubes to any size with almost no waste .
With that 6" saw be very careful to follow the Max RPM ratings for your blades . That saw runs a couple of thousand RPM's above what most small blades are rated at .

I found that thin fiber cut-off disks meant for cutting metal do the trick quite nicely. You don't have to worry about little carbide tips flying off at high speeds! ;)

Top Bottom