Cutting board (I'm finally a real woodworker, hahaha)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RunnerVince

RunnerVince

I finally made my first cutting board. I did all the flattening and jointing by hand. All the wood came from the scrap bin at the local hardwood dealer, so I'm not 100% sure on all the woods, but I'm pretty sure I have walnut, cherry, maple, oak, and poplar.

I definitely need a larger hand plane (I did this with a #4 Wood River), some winding sticks, and of course more clamps, but I had so much fun doing this. Finish is mineral oil for easy maintenance.

Attachments

• 20221115_141304_2.jpg
    20221115_141304_2.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 123

KMCloonan

Nice! I like the symmetry, and the variety of woods work well together. Would you consider using a 1/4" roundover bit in a router to soften the edges/corners?

RunnerVince

Nice! I like the symmetry, and the variety of woods work well together. Would you consider using a 1/4" roundover bit in a router to soften the edges/corners?
There is actually a slight roundover, which the picture doesn't show very well. I originally put a very slight chamfer with a block plane, but it didn't look good in my opinion, so I just rounded that over with sandpaper. I may go back and do a "formal" roundover if I have a small enough bit, but for the thickness of the board, I think 1/4" is too much.

Top Bottom