Custom Yew FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Started this a couple of months back, and have only just had the time to finish it. My first go at a custom wooden pen, so a bit of a practice piece. Used nylon rod to make the inserts....first thing to change for the next! When I was making the section I thought I wasn't going to like it, but now it's on the pen it's not too bad. The clip is I believe from Conway Stewart.......met a guy who breather Conway and he gave me a few.
C&C's welcome.
By the way, the barrel was done on my old lathe, and you can see how off centre it was!!!
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

Now that is cool! I have a wooden custom in the works and hope it comes out as good as this one. I'm finding it is a pain to design the correct size inserts that will accommodate the needed thread sizes and still give a suitable wall thickness without making the pen so big. Nice job.

MartinPens

I've been working on something in this direction too. Marrying custom FP with wood. I really like what you've done.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think that pen is excellent!! The small amount of 'black' you used perfectly highlights and shows off the light coloured yew. For me, I'd like to see a little more shape to the section, but otherwise I think it's fantastic. Very well done John !!:wink::biggrin:

turbowagon

Is there a finish on the wood, or is it just buffed? The finishing aspect is what keeps me from attempting more wood custom pens.

Twissy

Thank you all for your kind words!

Skip: I totally agree with you on the section. I screwed up by using a 10mm thread in the barrel, so there isn't enough meat on the wooden part of the section to take it any thinner. I know this because I went through the first one!!!!:biggrin:

Joe: The finish is just a quick coat of friction polish then a very light buff.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

What a beautiful pen! Nothing wrong with PR or whatever else people are using, I love the wood the best. Congrats on a stunning pen.

furini

That's a beautiful pen. I love yew anyway so it was always going to be a winner. What will you use instead of nylon for the inserts on the next one?

Twissy

Thnk you all again for the encouragement!

That's a unique looking pen. It almost makes me want to get my kit less stuff out and give it another try. I am not very good at it yet.
Go for it! It's the only way!

Awesome pen! I'd love to know the steps of doing the inserts.
I will try to the some pictures of the inserts on the next one....trouble is I get carried away!

That's a beautiful pen. I love yew anyway so it was always going to be a winner. What will you use instead of nylon for the inserts on the next one?
Probably acrylic or aluminium.....or a mix of both. I may even try ebonite.

Regards
John

BSea

I think that's a great looking pen. My only concern is with the section. I'd be afraid I'd stain the wood when the pen was filled. I know you can be careful, but it seems like there will be no way to prevent that from happening. Seems like I get ink everywhere.

Twissy

I think that's a great looking pen. My only concern is with the section. I'd be afraid I'd stain the wood when the pen was filled. I know you can be careful, but it seems like there will be no way to prevent that from happening. Seems like I get ink everywhere.

Thanks Bob. It is primarily designed as an eye dropper (25ml capacity) but also cartridge/converter. The black end to the section was partly there for the very reason you are concerned about. The converter can of course be filled off the pen, which is what I usually do because I too end up with "ink finger"! :)

wizard

John, That is an absolutely stunning pen with a contemporary look to it particularly with the contrasting materials. I like the closed end rather than a bottom finial...the wood in the upper finial adds a beautiful finishing touch to the pen. Would like to see this pen on the front page!! Regards, Doc

Mossy

WOW!.Absolutely stunning. Yew is one of my favorite timbers any pens I make from it don't stay with me for very long.

Mossy.:peace:

Attachments

• P1010757.JPG
    P1010757.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom