CSUSA New Kit Group Buy - 27-JUL-06 - Shipped

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

They're there Reed. I haven't been breaking out the bushings - the kit count is there at the end in parenthesis to help me with my addition.

JimGo

<b>Sorry, I just realized I forgot to add the PayPal fees to the bushings. I've updated the cost to reflect the fees.</b>

ncseeker

Ok, I'm in....

===Emperor===|===Jr. Emp. ===|====Lotus====|===Imperial===|
Go-Go-Tn-Tn-Em | Go-Go-Tn-Tn-JE | Go-Go-Tn-Tn-Lo | Go-Go-Tn-Tn-Im |
FP-RB-FP-RB- BU | FP-RB-FP-RB-BU | FP-RB-FP-RB-BU | FP-RB-FP-RB-BU |
=================================================|
00/01/00/00/00 | 00/00/00/00/00 | 00/01/00/01/00 | 00/01/00/01/01

Remember, what happens on the forum....stays in the forum.... away from the wife !!

Johnathan

This looks like it is going to be a pretty big group buy. Just wanted to say thank you Jim for all your hard work yet to come. I can't wait to see these new kits and make some pens!

turff49

Jim,
Here's my order as of now. I may add a few more in a week or so.

Emperor | Jr. Emp. | Lotus | Imperial
Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti
FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU
00/00/00/00/00 | 00/02/00/02/01 | 00/02/00/02/02 | 00/02/00/02/00

Thanks, Brian

JimGo

Plenty of time Brian. I've been pestering a few people just so I can keep a clue about where things stand. But everyone is welcome to make changes up 'till the buy closes.

bca1313

Jim,

I will be putting an order in soon, but need to check what I have currently. Will next week be ok?

THanks for putting this together.

Ben

Tea Clipper

Jim,

I read todays update and am concerned about your thoughts on shipping. I don't feel comfortable having my eight kits shipped to me in a flat rate envelope. I would much prefer that they are sent in the larger box. I will gladly pay the $8.10 for a more secure shipment and also to retain the original box the kit comes in (assumption anyway).

Would you please reconsider, or make it an option, for people with larger orders?

JimGo

Ron,
If anyone would prefer to have their stuff shipped by the more expensive flat-rate box, I'll be happy to do so. I was merely trying to save people a few bucks. I'm sure I can scrounge up enough old newspapers and the like to stuff into the boxes between now and then to help take up any excess space. Of course, if the kits aren't shipped in boxes, then that makes things more interesting. Regardless, I updated the 3:15PM post from today to reflect the ability to ship using the larger size boxes.

Oh, I should note that it was not my intention to merely "stuff the kits into a flat-rate envelope. Now that I have some idea of how many VCR-tape size boxes I'll need, I'll start raiding the local post offices so I can use those inside the flat rate envelopes. I wouldn't want any of my kits, let alone kits of this price, shipped inside a plain flat-rate envelope! Sorry for any confusion!

The thing I was trying to avoid was shipping by a bunch of different services, or having to deal with order-specific shipping charges. For example, some of the priority mail shipments may actually be cheaper than the $8.10 (plus PayPal fees), and I just don't want to try to get everyone an exact shipping quote.

JimGo

Ben,
Next week is fine. This buy won't "close" until June 23, and payment need not be received until June 30 (though I'd prefer payment some time during that week, rather than all at the last minute).

Randy_

Jim: No need to scrounge around the PO for shipping supplies. If you go to the USPS web site, you can order all of the Priority Mail boxes, envelopes, labels etc. that you need for free and they will ship the order to your home at no charge!! It takes about 2-3 weeks to receive the order; but you have plenty of time. A lot of people are down on the PO; but they provide some very handy services that are not well known!! Min. order on most items is 25 and max. is 500 so you should be able to order what you need without a problem.

<b>Here is the link to the USPS web page:
http://tinyurl.com/pro5r </b>

Note: The boxes you need are on page 2.

JimGo

Randy,
Thanks, I think I found the right thing. You wouldn't happen to know whether the standard box is USPS part no. O-1096S or O-1096L, would you? I'm leaning toward the smaller of the two to make sure it will fit in the envelope.

Tea Clipper

Oh, I should note that it was not my intention to merely "stuff the kits into a flat-rate envelope.

LOL, yeah, that's what I thought you were going to do![:0]
Well okay then, I see you have things under control, so I'll keep quiet now.[:I]

Thanks!

Edit:spelling

Randy_

Jim:

1096<b>S</b> is what you need and even it is a tight fit. I assume you know that, basically, you have to use the flap on the envelope to seal the package. You may add an extra piece of tape to secure the flap; but you may not use bunches of tape all over the envelope. If you have any questions, BB has posted a copy of the USPS memo that describes the regs concerning the use of the flat rate envelope.

Tea Clipper

Is the envelope even necessary? I've used either the L or S and it was $4.05 - no envelope required. Maybe a trip to the post office can confirm the price?

Randy_

I just tried one of my "S" boxes in an envelope and while it was a tight fit, there is a little extra room and since Lou says the "L" box will fit, I'm sure it will. But I'll bet it is even more difficult to get the flap closed than when using the "S" box. Best thing to do would be to order some of each size....since they are free....and use the "L" boxes only when the order size makes it necessary to use a larger box.

Randy_

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Is the envelope even necessary? I've used either the L or S and it was $4.05 - no envelope required. Maybe a trip to the post office can confirm the price?

Ron: What you have stated is correct; but only if the total weight of the package is less than one pound. If the weight is more than a pound, then the charges increase based on weight and distance shipped. For instance, a package that weighs less than 2 pounds will cost any where from $4.20 to $6.05 depending upon distance. As an example, I just weighed some Seirra kits and you could put 12 kits in a "S" box and be under 1 pound. I suspect these new kits weigh more than the Sierras so it is fair to assume that it will take fewer kits in a box to reach the 1 lb. limit. Bushings will further reduce the kit capacity of each box. For smaller orders, the box without envelope will be just fine. For larger orders, it will be more economical to put the box in an envelope.

Jim: If you don't have access to a postal scale, I bet an email to Nils would elicit the shipping weight of each of those kits. Several years ago, I bought a little digital postal/kitchen scales from Office Depot for about $30.....one of the handiest gadgets I have purchased in recent years. Mine weighs in grams or ounces up to 5 lbs. and gets used several times a week for postage and for other household chores as well.

wudwrkr

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Is the envelope even necessary? I've used either the L or S and it was $4.05 - no envelope required. Maybe a trip to the post office can confirm the price?

Ron,
If you don't use the flat rate envelope then the rate is based on weight, which could end up being more than the flat rate of $4.05. That is what I have found.

JimGo

Thanks for the quick feedback Randy!

I'll pester Nils as we get closer to the date the kits are due. Based on other information I received, I have a feeling that they don't yet know the exact weights.

That raises an interesting idea, though. It would be neat if CSUSA and the other vendors would print the weight of the complete kit (including tubes) on their web site or in their catalogs, this way we could have an idea of the relative weight of the pens. Obviously, the final weight will depend on the material from which the pen's body is made, but at least we could get a "bare bones" weight estimate.

I wonder how much of a difference there is between the new kits and the Emperor; I think I have one more Emperor kit at home, and I could probably at least ballpark the weight of an entire order based on that kit. If anyone else has access to a scale and an Emperor kit, I'd welcome the weight info ('cause, knowing me, I'll forget to bring the kit to work with me tomorrow).

Turnitall

I would like the following:
Jr Emperor Ti Fountain Pen - 2
Jr Emperor Gold Fountain Pen - 2
Bushings for above - 2

Thanks Jim...

JimGo

Mike,
If you want to send payment now, you can. Just drop me an E-mail that includes your PayPal address and I'll send you an invoice. Any money received will be left in my PayPal account 'till we're ready to finalize everything.

However, I'd feel more comfortable not being responsible for everyone's money 'till closer to the date on which the order is placed. I'll start sending out invoices on or about June 23.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

I wish you more luck with the USPS than I have had!!!

If you try to use the flat rate envelope, meet with your postmaster in advance. There is microtype on the envelope explaining that you can't use tape to secure it. OF course, if you print all your labels on PayPal, they are not sticky back, so the obvious answer is tape. Also, you can't put tape over the bar code, so it requires a few strips (might as well run them around the package for security). THEREIN lies the argument. I GAVE UP. (On my "cats" shipping).

JimGo

Thanks for the tip Ed! So far, they haven't given me any problems with the various box-inside-envelope mailings I've done, but speaking with them in advance might be a good idea.

Another technique I've seen successfully used is to pull the flap down farther than where it's crease suggests it should close. This puts the adhesive part of the flap along the flat part of the box, which gives you a better surface upon which to press and get good adhesion. I did it today with a package for which I had a USPS printed shipping label and postage, and wouldn't you know it, the edge of the flap wound up right at the edge of the shipping label, so that when I taped the shipping label down with my packing tape, the flap also wound up under the tape. I mean, it was either that or wind up sticking the tape over the bar code, and I knew that was a no-no!

Randy_

Here is a new post in that topic from 'ed4copies'

1. If you try to use the flat rate envelope, meet with your postmaster in advance.

2. There is microtype on the envelope explaining that you can't use tape to secure it.

3. Also, you can't put tape over the bar code....

1. Excellent idea!! It has been reported that some postmasters use a faulty interpretation of the regulations and won't accept FR envelopes with tape on them or boxes inside.

2. Not completely accurate. While you may not bind up a FR envelope like a mummy, you are allowed to use a piece of tape to add additional security to seal the flap.

3. Seems like I have sent and received FR envelopes with tape over the bar code?? Can't say if this is a reg that is ignored occasionally or whether Ed has a postmaster who is a "stickler?"

BB has a copy of a memo sent by the USPS to all of its POs clarifying the regs concerning FR envelopes. You may see the exact language here:
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Priority_Mail.htm

I just reread the memo and discovered that you may also use tape to reinforce the seams of the envelope as well as on the flap!! Had missed that little tidbit in past readings.

<b>Couldn't figure how to post this earlier....I think this will work?? Resized the picture so it wouldn't be so disruptive.</b>
2006524224939_Flat_Rate_801.jpg
<br />

2006524225014_Flat_Rate_802.jpg
<br />

Ed: I agree that your PM seems to be a PITA!! The way I read that memo, you can put anything in the envelope as long as you can seal the flap with its own adhesive and you don't split out the seams???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,
Their rules say you cannot "change the shape" of the envelope.

Locally, that means increase its depth by more than a "reasonable" amount. The question, of course, is whose version of "reasonable"? I got one in four of my "cats" back, then had to GO TO the post office (If the package is over a pound, even if its in flat rate, You need to go to the desk to mail it-SINCE 9/11, per my postmaster).

Once there, he insisted that they were not eligible for the flat rate.

In spite of my usual affinity for a good argument, I had LOTS of more important fish to fry in that week, so I gave up and spent the postage-no big deal, but a really SOUR taste for the USPS.

I suspect a well-worded letter to the Postmaster General in your hand as you approach the local postmaster could be convincing-but I did not have the time to get that involved.

Good luck.[:)]

JimGo

Thanks guys! I will be sure to investigate this further. If I have to, I'll either go get some padded mailing envelopes from the dollar store and use those inside the flat-rate envelopes rather than the USPS boxes, or simply ask everyone to pay the extra $2 or so it costs to send it Priority Mail without the envelope. But, rather than getting wrapped up in that aspect of things now, I'll wait 'till the problem presents itself, and then we'll see how I fare with the letter from the Arizona Silhouette web site in hand!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Randy_
Can't say if this is a reg that is ignored occasionally or whether Ed has a postmaster who is a "stickler?"

Randy,
I prefer the term ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASSETS!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jim,

You're near DC, just find out who the most recent Postmaster General is and, when talking with your local postmaster refer to Uncle (insert PG name here) said at our last family picnic&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

JimGo

LOL... Thanks Ed, I'll have to remember to mention my uncle John Potter!

My gosh, we look almost identical! how could anyone dispute my claim?

http://www.usps.com/communications/organization/pmg.htm

lwalden

Hope I get this right....

Emperor | Jr. Emp. | Lotus | Imperial
Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti | Go/Go/Ti/Ti
FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU | FP/RB/FP/RB/BU
00/00/00/02/00 | 01/01/00/00/01 | 00/01/00/00/01 | 00/01/00/00/01

Dario

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Thanks for the tip Ed! So far, they haven't given me any problems with the various box-inside-envelope mailings I've done, but speaking with them in advance might be a good idea.

Another technique I've seen successfully used is to pull the flap down farther than where it's crease suggests it should close. This puts the adhesive part of the flap along the flat part of the box, which gives you a better surface upon which to press and get good adhesion. I did it today with a package for which I had a USPS printed shipping label and postage, and wouldn't you know it, the edge of the flap wound up right at the edge of the shipping label, so that when I taped the shipping label down with my packing tape, the flap also wound up under the tape. I mean, it was either that or wind up sticking the tape over the bar code, and I knew that was a no-no!

Jim,

I mail a lot of flat rate envelopes, both for IAP and eBay and never had any problems with USPS. I do get a lot of jokes from the postal clerks on how I pack my stuff though [:D]. FYI I usually pack 24 blanks in those and my personal best is 26 - 7/8" x 5.5". I did a 29 blank one but they are smaller.

If you print your label, you can do as I do and glue the paper on the envelope but overlap it to the flap [;)].

I don't use tape outside my envelopes...just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

JimGo

Thanks Dario, I hadn't even thought about glue! Hmmmm...now if only I had some really strong glue that cured quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom