Crosscut spalted mediterranean phoenix palm sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

Hi all, this is phoenix palm from my area on a PSI Gatsby click kit - CA finish:

Tournage%20Stylos%2054_800.jpg

This is one of the most difficult material i've been turning (after yucca maybe) - it needs tons of CA to hold up and to be honest i didn't even dare try to cut it with the usual tools, i essentially slowly sanded it down to shape. :biggrin:

I love the leopard skin effect! :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

le_skieur

Patrick I will say MAGNIFICO!!!!!

Nice job, the shape is just in touch with the pen style and your finish look perfect!!!

I do love the leopart skin effect!

JP

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
pretty cool. I turned a lot of Palm but never that species before, you open for a trade of some blanks?

wizard

Wow!! That is really nice. I've never turned any palm before. I love the color and pattern. You did a really nice job with that sandpaper..the profile of the pen blends right in with the kit. Doc

patmurris

pretty cool. I turned a lot of Palm but never that species before, you open for a trade of some blanks?
I'm thinking about selling or trading timber blanks from my place, but i have yet to sort out mailing costs and available options from France oversea...:confused:

Phoenix palm is quite common around here (French Riviera) along with the so called "Washingtonian" which is easier to turn i've heard.

For those Gatsby kits and most Sierra clones i found that an OD of 13.7mm (0.539") in the middle of the barrel works just right.

However, i also discovered that sanding a crosscut wood tents to produce an oval cylinder due to the hard/soft alternation of end grain and straight grain. :frown:

Last edited:

le_skieur

Pat,
It is look like that you have a lot of interresting about your area palm wood...Don't you?

Last edited:

wiset1

WOW...slow sanding a blank and having it turn out this awesome...great job! Interesting looking turn to be sure and a real stunner.

Top Bottom