Coyote Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

This is my first one of these. I must have really screwed this up somehow. It's not a difficult assembly. Any ideas on what I did wrong because honestly I'm at a loss?
3F3DB8E7-909C-4F48-8B93-9656D5AD00D9.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

So I bought 3 kits, went down and did some measuring. On all three kits the OD of the transmission is .290 and the ID of the cap that gets pressed on to the transmission is .295. No wonder it doesn't stop at full extension. Do I just have some bad stock or am I totally screwing this up? It's not like it's my first rodeo.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Accurate measurements don't lie... I suspect a bad batch. Unnecessary tweaking may save them, but a shame.

Well now, that's no good. Having tested several from this batch I doubt we've got an issue with fitment. However, we have seen a few bad transmissions that didn't want to thread far enough down into that threaded insert. Which also explains the end of the pen not coming out. Unfortunately that's a part we have to source and it's proven to be a point of failure.

Do me a favor and pop the back off that pen. Then unscrew that transmission. Screw in another transmission as far as it will go and then try putting the back on again. The parts we machine are all done on a rather nice swiss lathe so most of the time we get that part right.... (There was a minute hiccup with some fountain pens where my machinist randomly decided to change the ID of a part but he's fixing that under threat of death)

Obviously we'd like every one to be perfect but we're still new at this and learning as we go. Please, next time feel free to reach out via phone or email and we can help you faster

-Tim

KenB259

Well now, that's no good. Having tested several from this batch I doubt we've got an issue with fitment. However, we have seen a few bad transmissions that didn't want to thread far enough down into that threaded insert. Which also explains the end of the pen not coming out. Unfortunately that's a part we have to source and it's proven to be a point of failure.

Do me a favor and pop the back off that pen. Then unscrew that transmission. Screw in another transmission as far as it will go and then try putting the back on again. The parts we machine are all done on a rather nice swiss lathe so most of the time we get that part right.... (There was a minute hiccup with some fountain pens where my machinist randomly decided to change the ID of a part but he's fixing that under threat of death)

Obviously we'd like every one to be perfect but we're still new at this and learning as we go. Please, next time feel free to reach out via phone or email and we can help you faster

-Tim
I did try a transmission from another kit and the issue remained.

I sent you a message with my personal cell. Let's chat tomorrow while I'm in the shop and we'll figure it out. I just checked 5 more here and everything fit ok, which saved me from a full blown panic. We'll figure out which part is problematic and make it right.

Well I'm the type that can't sleep when something with my name on it has issues... So I'm down in the shop going through parts and it appears there's a few of the threaded press in parts where the transmissions hang up a bit on the internal threads. I can force the issue gently using vice grips to turn it but obviously that is not ideal. I'm going to put together some photos in the morning and email all my customers so they know what to look for so we can try and get replacement parts to everyone before they turn pens. Then I'll be having a chat with a machinist about why our threads aren't as consistent as they should be....

mmayo

Tim I really hate to rain on your parade, but the Desire kits don't all seat tightly. I KNOW how to flush up pen barrels and there is still a gap. Your vendor requires a QC lesson.

Tim I really hate to rain on your parade, but the Desire kits don't all seat tightly. I KNOW how to flush up pen barrels and there is still a gap. Your vendor requires a QC lesson.
Mark, that'd be a new one. Constant is still machining these kits... But yes we've had a few chats about the need for consistency. Shoot me a photo of what you've got going on please. Sent you a message as well. This batch of Desire has been out there a while and so far the only issue I'm aware of was the fountain pen clearance we spoke about earlier this week. Those parts are in the queue btw.

I'll get a post going later with how to check and what it looks like when it doesn't go far enough. Constant is looking into how the threads are made and we're going to test every single part we have here. Manufacturing... It's fun.

MRDucks2

"Manufacturing... It's fun" - Hmmm, are you making a statement here, or trying to convince yourself by repeating it often, Tim? 😆

walterwien

The Coyote I made several years ago has a notch the clip must seat into. I failed to do this and ended up with problems like the original poster.

Attachments

• 20220306_091842.jpg
    20220306_091842.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 67
We actually did away with the notch as part of the plan to simplify the kits. Next feature will be... The transmissions actually threading all the way in! Already working on that and testing pieces so we can replace any that have issues. I've ruled out our finishing process so we're sending some defects to Constant to have him look at and we'll adjust the manufacturing process to get back to that 1% or less failure rate I was aiming for.

"Manufacturing... It's fun" - Hmmm, are you making a statement here, or trying to convince yourself by repeating it often, Tim? 😆
Mostly trying to convince myself. 😉 I suppose if it were easy everyone would do it. That's ok though, I'm dedicated to getting US made kits out there and I'm a huge fan of continuous improvement methods.... We'll replace what we need to replace, learn from this, and make it better.

howsitwork

Tim
I wish you well on that quest of continuous improvement.

Best wishes and when next in USA I shall stock up

KenB259

We actually did away with the notch as part of the plan to simplify the kits. Next feature will be... The transmissions actually threading all the way in! Already working on that and testing pieces so we can replace any that have issues. I've ruled out our finishing process so we're sending some defects to Constant to have him look at and we'll adjust the manufacturing process to get back to that 1% or less failure rate I was aiming for.

Top Bottom