Couple Segmented Pens Made Tonight!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RickLong

What is your favorite Segmented Ballpoint Above?

• Polaris Ebony, Redheart, & Osage Orange

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Click Vertex Purple Heart, Osage Orange, & Purple Heart

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Click Vertex Redheart, Osage Orange, & Ebony

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Polaris with Segmented Checkers (Purple Heart, & Hard White Maple)

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • They all Rock!

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

RickLong

Had some fun Segmenting small ballpoints this evening. Which is your favorite segmented pen?

Attachments

• ballpoint-handmade-segmented249.jpg
    ballpoint-handmade-segmented249.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 674
  • clickballpoint-segmented-wood-handmade237.jpg
    clickballpoint-segmented-wood-handmade237.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 570
  • clickballpoint-segmented-wood-handmade245.jpg
    clickballpoint-segmented-wood-handmade245.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 494
  • handmade-ballpoint-ebonyredheart-wood232.jpg
    handmade-ballpoint-ebonyredheart-wood232.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 601
  • stylus-ballpoint-segmented-wood250.jpg
    stylus-ballpoint-segmented-wood250.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 421
  • custom-handmade-ballpoint-checkers-redheart-maple235.jpg
    custom-handmade-ballpoint-checkers-redheart-maple235.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Rick

I find myself wanting to comment on your pens because you are doing segmenting work. I have checked the links you provided for the sales of your pens. You do some fine work. Wish you luck with your sales. But if you do not mind I would like to make a couple points on your segmenting. This is an observation on my part and a little tidbit that gets my attention when I see segmenting like this. Probably many people do not see it as an issue but in my eye it always sticks out. Symatry.

The thing is when doing a blank that is checkerboard like that try to center the tube in the blank where the segments are more even on top and bottom unless you are going for a continuous look as with a cap flowing into the body of the pen. It always looks like a mistake to me. Also when doing checkerboard, the spacing on the different rows, to me looks better when there is order and not random unless you are going for that look. It looks odd when half the pen is symetrical and the other half is random.

I just find that symatry draws the eye to the segmented aspects of the pen better and it looks like it flows. Also to me it shows that a bit more effort was put into the pen to achieve this.

I know this may be nit picking and I was going to send you a PM instead of placing my comment here but I second guessed myself in hopes that maybe my observations could be of value to others. Don't get me wrong your work is fine and it looks like your finishes are good as well. I have mentioned this before I do not comment on many people's pens because I just do not like to put "Looks good" in a post. I have a thing for segmenting so I am always looking for segmented pens. Hope you take this in the context it was meant to be. Take care.

RickLong

Hello Rick

I find myself wanting to comment on your pens because you are doing segmenting work. I have checked the links you provided for the sales of your pens. You do some fine work. Wish you luck with your sales. But if you do not mind I would like to make a couple points on your segmenting. This is an observation on my part and a little tidbit that gets my attention when I see segmenting like this. Probably many people do not see it as an issue but in my eye it always sticks out. Symatry.

The thing is when doing a blank that is checkerboard like that try to center the tube in the blank where the segments are more even on top and bottom unless you are going for a continuous look as with a cap flowing into the body of the pen. It always looks like a mistake to me. Also when doing checkerboard, the spacing on the different rows, to me looks better when there is order and not random unless you are going for that look. It looks odd when half the pen is symetrical and the other half is random.

I just find that symatry draws the eye to the segmented aspects of the pen better and it looks like it flows. Also to me it shows that a bit more effort was put into the pen to achieve this.

I know this may be nit picking and I was going to send you a PM instead of placing my comment here but I second guessed myself in hopes that maybe my observations could be of value to others. Don't get me wrong your work is fine and it looks like your finishes are good as well. I have mentioned this before I do not comment on many people's pens because I just do not like to put "Looks good" in a post. I have a thing for segmenting so I am always looking for segmented pens. Hope you take this in the context it was meant to be. Take care.

I appreciate your comments and I agree with you. The only way to improve is to get candid comments....

Rick

Last edited:

RickLong

Like them all but my favorite is the ebony and red heart.

I noticed this after I submitted the poll. I was unable to add that pen in... It was 5AM this morning when I did the post so I was a tad sleepy.. .lol

Rick

Very nice work Rick. Please post these in the no comments thread and help me keep a running tab on the beautiful segmented pens that come through these forums.

Top Bottom