Cortizone injection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Well, I just had a deep cortizone injection in my back. I'm hoping it will allow me to continue working with wood. I can use your prayers, as I'm a bit sore.
Rob

johncrane

G'Day Rob sorry to here your still not well mate! l hope you come good real soon.For me the cortizone didnt work' l hope it does for you All we can do is what the doctors tell us mate and fingers crossed it works for you and relieves some of your pain.

OKLAHOMAN

LOML has had 6 injections over the last 2 years and they help a bit . the first lasted almost 6 mos the last a couple of weeks. Hope you have good results I wish you well!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rob, I wish you well. Roy has an excellent point, each new injection will give you a shorter time of relief, and overdone, can actually damage a joint.

Hopefully this one will get you loooong term relief!

BigRob777

Thanks to all who responded with kind words of encouragement and for your prayers. I am feeling swelling in my back from the injections, but they were meant to reduce muscle clenching in my back, which has caused me pain for so long. Well, I can already feel the muscles relaxing. I'm hoping and praying for the ability to work in my shop for much more time than I have experienced in the past.

Time for my shameless plug: My New Hawaiian Special is still on!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19058

Thanks all,
Rob

JimGo

You're 47!?!?!? Man you are OLD!!! Don't worry, I won't stop at your house again 'till you've forgotten about my slight. Thankfully, that could be as soon as tomorrow! [:D]

All kidding aside, best wishes Rob - Alex, Beth and I hope the shot is successful.

woodbutcher

Rob have you tried ice packs? It helps me with swelling in my back and shoulders. I have a soft tissue and nerve damage. Several herniated discs as well. The ice really helps me.
Jim

wudnhed

Really hope that works for you, Rob. I had neck surgery a few years ago and I always try to remember to take some Aleive before I start turning instead of after. It really helps! Sounds like this might be your lower back and any constant pain in one area hurtful. Wishing you much success, bless you!

BigRob777

Jim,
I use ice packs when there is swelling now. It does help some, but my swelling has been too much for it to handle. Ice also tightens me up, so I use it at the end of the day, when I'm not going to be doing any more work. My Dr. wants me to ice three times a day for two days.

Becca, thanks and welcome to the group.

All,
Thanks for your responses.

Jim,
I guess you were referring to my ....er....what was that now? This blasted memory of mine. You can come over anytime, just remember to call first, 'cause I may have forgotten, like last time.[:p] Ah well, I have to get up tomorrow and cut some more palm blanks to fill my latest order. It's good to have a reason to get out of bed. I knocked out 5 orders today, which almost caught me up.
Rob

pete00

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />BTW, Pete---I'm only 47, about 15 years away from "sir".[:D]
Rob

all right your not a sir,
your just a rotten kid...there you happy now......[}:)]

come to think of it are you implying that 47 + 15 makes you an
"old Sir".....

hmmmm... what does that make someone 47 +15 + like me
shud up.....dont even say it.

Be careful of what you say, AARP has a hit squad, we just need a long ramp for our gataway, so the walkers dont get caught.

pete

BigRob777

UPDATE:

I got my cortizone shots yesterday and it seems to be working. Though the rest of my lower back is swollen from the procedure, the cortizone seems to be relaxing the ceased (siezed?--cramped) muscles around my lower lumbar vertibrae, which has been causing me so much pain.

Pete,
Sorry---SIR![:D] Did I say 15? I meant 51. I guess I'm just a tad <b>cixelsid</b>[;)].

Draken, Jim-thanks.

Rob

PS I know I've got a strange sense of humor, so if you didn't get my joke, cixelsid is dislexic spelled backwards. No offense to those who really are dislexic.

martyb

I know that pain.
I'm 31 with a badly degenerated disk separating my spine from my hips. It's about 25% of what it should be. One wrong twist, my back locks up and I drop to the floor in pain. Takes about 3 hours to get off the floor at that point. Haven't gotten to the cortizone yet (probably coming, along with disk replacement surgery).
My wife commented it can't be that bad, then we met a woman with the same problem, now how did she put it...she'd rather,"give birth to an angry porcupine that was set on fire."

To all those out there without back problems. Be VERY thankful!
My thoughts are with you Rob!

alamocdc

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />PS I know I've got a strange sense of humor, so if you didn't get my joke, cixelsid is dislexic spelled backwards. No offense to those who really are dislexic.

Rob, I was quite offended by this. My brother and one of my granddaughters suffer from cixelsidia. [:eek:)]

Just kidding about being offended, buddy.[;)]

But the rest is quite true.

BigRob777

Billy,
Man, you made me start sweating. I read your post in my e-mail, which doesn't show smileys. I have a tendency to wax dislexic at times, but it is rare. It's mostly in my memory of numbers and sometimes when I epyt.[:)]
What was this topic again????? Oh yeah, enozitroc.
Rob

BigRob777

Marty,
Wow, you've got it worse than I do. I was looking into replacement and they do have a new man-made disc. My disc that is the worse is the same as yours (L-5 S-1). I've considered replacement, but my Dr. says I am not bad enough yet. My problem is that I've got 3 bad discs (neither as bad as yours) and my original injury from a 30' fall, in which I landed on an I-beam accross my back. Hopefully this cortizone will allow me to continue cutting and selling pen blanks and turning.
My heart goes out to you.
Rob

martyb

I'm lucky in the fact that I've learned the signals I get just before I'd tweak that disk. You know that slap you get when accidentally shocked? I feel that and I immediately stand up straight. Heck of a signal huh!
Combining that with other adaptations in my life, and I've been without a "lockup" for probably 3 years now. But that doesn't mean I move the best every day! I'm careful about what chairs I sit in for long periods. Just started a new position and work from home while I'm not traveling and the 10 y.o. chair just wasn't cutting it. So, a new ergo on the way. And I watch what I wear for footwear while woodworking. It's not the safest, but I turn in a pair or Crocs. They provide just the right cushion for me while standing, but if you watched me, you'd still say I fidgit.

I see a new "fraternity" starting up here! The Brotherhood of the Cranky-Back Penturners! You only need a note from your doctor to join!! [:D]

TBone

Good luck Rob, hope it helps. Generally people don't realize how they use their back muscles and the muscles around your ribs until they hurt. Get better soon

pete00

Rob

I vote for replacement if you have a choice and doctor thinks its good idea why ?
Actually i have had BOTH my sholder replaced, the shots didnt work for me.
BUT im glad i replaced them, no more pain and i can move my arms.

Now i have strong young shoulders and old rest of me....[:D][:D]

young and old pete

BigRob777

Pete,
I don't actually know why my Dr. doesn't want me to have a replacement. She says that my disc isn't bad enough for it. I should probably lose about 130 pounds. That would be my best bet. I'd still be about 250 pounds then. That would be nice, if I could do it. I just lack the discipline.

The replacement is something that I can do as a last resort. It's very major surgery, with all of those touchy nerves running all over the place. One nick and I'm paralyzed. That wouldn't be cool. Thanks for your input though..... Sir[:D]

Rob

Man, I read all of the posts about aches and pains... I feel for you guys that hurt...
I watch my wife with her bad hip and deteriating disc in her back, along with the diabetes and arrythmic heart... I thank my lucky stars for my health... at 65 the worst I have is a ringing in my ears and a little stiffness from arthuritis...

btw, my daughter had a titanium cage put around three of her vertebrae about 5 or 6 years ago... she was 38 or 39.. some guy clipped her bicycle on one of her road races and knocked he into a ditch and injured her back... she lasted about 2 years before she had to have the surgery.

Good Luck Rob ... hope these shots will help.

DWK5150

Rob,
I know what your going through as I have had that done many of times. Youll be good in a few days again after everything gets used to being loosened up from the injections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom