Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

Has anyone ever tryied to heat & bend Corian? I need to make a bracket for a compass for my small fishing boat. (17 feet) & thought Corian would be good. Also how hard is it to post pictures ? looks difficult to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I have never worked corian but have a box full on the way to me now. Somewhere on the Sawmill Creek, there was a discussion about working corian. Apparently it will bend when heated. Pieces can be heated, clamped together and have super-glue (CA)drizzled in between where it will work its way down. There is one brand of the glue that works best. I'll try to find that post on SC and paste here later.

its_virgil

I have seen strips of corian glued together, heated and twisted like a barber pole. I have not done it but was told it was done by heating and twisting.

Posting pictures is not difficult. There is a size limit and the name cannot contain certain symbols. On the home page, top left, under the IAP logo is a link to photo posting help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jscola
<br />Has anyone ever tryied to heat & bend Corian? I need to make a bracket for a compass for my small fishing boat. (17 feet) & thought Corian would be good. Also how hard is it to post pictures ? looks difficult to me.

Rifleman1776

Below is a paste of a post by Ken Dolph of Sawmill Creek. He is the corian guru there for the Freedom Pen Project. I didn't ask his permission to post this but since he is one of the good guys, I'm sure he won't mind.

&lt;&lt;Since Corian gets soft when heated to 300 to 350 degrees F, you do not need to sand reasonably good cuts. Just heat the strips for 5 minutes in a toaster oven then stack between wooden blocks and clamp the assembly. When it has cooled, do not tighten clamp or remove, just glue in place with Cyberbond 2002. It will wick into the seams. Clamp may be removed after a couple of minutes and you can do it again. Leave assemblies alone for 24 hours for complete cure. Then cut and turn as usual.

For a more impressive effect you could make wavy stripes. You would do this by using a band or scroll saw to cut a shallow "S" in a piece of wood. Sand both sides of the cut smooth. Heat the Corian strips in a toaster oven set to 300 degrees F for about 5 minutes. More time for thicker strips. Put them on their side between the two blocks of wood. Then clamp the whole assembly together until the Corian conforms to the shape. When the Corian has cooled, glue the strips with Cyberbond 2002 while still clamped. It will wick between the layers. (Do not increase the clamp pressure) After 5 minutes remove the clamp and you can do it again with another set of strips. Leave each glued assembly alone for 24 hours. Then you can square the block and prepare for making a pen or whatever.

In the interest of full disclosure we sell the Cyberbond. Other wicking grade cyanoacrylates may work but I have not found another quite like it.

I hope you enjoy doing this
Ken&gt;&gt;

mick

Thanks Frank!!! I wasn't aware of this post .....I've got a lot of corian strips slated for future projects and now I've got a way to do something unique with em!!

woodwish

One of the big selling points for Corian countertops is that it won't flex or bend like some of the cheaper imitations. I'm really surprised that it will bend when heated, learn something new everyday!

rduncan

Originally posted by woodwish
<br />One of the big selling points for Corian countertops is that it won't flex or bend like some of the cheaper imitations. I'm really surprised that it will bend when heated, learn something new everyday!
I guess one had better keep their kitchen below 300 degrees if they have corian Counters [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom