Corel geek???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I use Coreldraw a lot. Tonight there is a question.

Made a single letter size sheet, one jpg (300kb), then converted it to PDF to send to some friends in email. PDF turned into a 3.2 mb document:eek::eek:

Can I control the size??? Can I convert to some OTHER format where they can read it in their email? or, am I screwed?? (redo the sheet)

Thanks if you have ideas

(Newer Coreldraw X4)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Normally converting to a pdf makes the file smaller. But not always. I too have run into that problem. I don't have a solution, but I know it happens.

Why not just attach the jpg file to the email?

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ed....
Email me the pdf... I havn't used corel draw in a long time (so I'll need to research a better answer for long term), but with my Mac, I can re-convert pdf's in a couple of minutes (or seconds depending on the specifics of the file). I can take PDFs from monsterous to normal in no time flat.

Dean

alphageek

Former Moderator
Well there is 2 things:
1) Ed was putting more pages in his output than he expected.
2) There is another piece that should be looked into: somewhere in the pdf settings you should be able to 'downsample' the images for the pdf (don't have it so I can't tell you where, but I was able to find some discussions on the web).

Thats one way I fixed it... On my Mac, I created a tiny automator script which took the file Ed sent me from 300dpi images to 72dpi images and cut the size (even with all the pages) from 3.4 Meg to .7 Meg.

Dean

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dean and Don,

I am awake now. Yes, when you ask for PDF, the next screen allows you to pick the PDF quality. While it does not tell you what it means, I found that picking "web" brought the file down to about 40 kb. MUCH better--still prints the halftone with good detail and holds the fonts.

Thanks for your direction and thanks Dean for doing this last night. People were waiting for me to email them.

Top Bottom