Copper Braid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Someone posted a slimline a while back with steel braided hose cast in resin. I couldn't find the thread to ask so I thought I'd start over asking the question. I've seen pens made with copper braid but I can't find any locally. Does anyone know where to get the hoses with the copper braid? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bats

or maybe desoldering braid like this ?
Most solder braid is pretty small - that one's only .098" (<2.5mm) wide, which won't even fit a slimline tube. My vote is also for the earthing (that's "ground" or "grounding", for those of us speaking Americanese) wire. Amazon seems to have a wide and fairly cheap selection - although it may require some experimentation to figure out what fits.

I'm also going to ping @rd_ab_penman and @jttheclockman, because I know I've seen both posting braided blanks before, and they might have some input on choosing sizes.

howsitwork

Bats

didnt say it was easy !

I was thinking bind it round the tubes , then cast .

I know JT has done some braided tubes and , as I recall he did copper , but you've named the two best advice sources Ive seen on the subject.

Bats

I was thinking bind it round the tubes , then cast .
Ok, that's something I hadn't considered. It would give a rather different look than the standard braided cable sleeves, but could be interesting. I'd be careful picking it out, though - make sure it's unfluxed ("no clean" is a variety of solder flux), or there might be some unwanted interactions with the resin.

I know JT has done some braided tubes and , as I recall he did copper , but you've named the two best advice sources Ive seen on the subject.
This library tutorial is probably also worth mentioning, although it doesn't offer anything in the way of sources or sizing recommendations.

jttheclockman

I have done all kinds of braiding on pens. For copper I get from ebay. I like to use 1/2" mostly. If doing slims you may want 3/8" The braiding will expand some. Do not want it to over expand then you see the tube through it. Have done copper, brass, stainless steel, stainless and brass combo, red colored copper with black. mylars of many kind. Here is an example of some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251020404731?hash=item3a71fb67fb:g:I7gAAOxyn9BRchMA

IMGP0623.JPG

howsitwork

I am particularly struck by the yellow and black one. I have seen it before and thought "Hmm not sure" but thats the one I keep remembering and coming back to. What kit is that one please?

Joebobber

I have done all kinds of braiding on pens. For copper I get from ebay. I like to use 1/2" mostly. If doing slims you may want 3/8" The braiding will expand some. Do not want it to over expand then you see the tube through it. Have done copper, brass, stainless steel, stainless and brass combo, red colored copper with black. mylars of many kind. Here is an example of some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251020404731?hash=item3a71fb67fb:g:I7gAAOxyn9BRchMA

View attachment 312771
Awesome job.

jttheclockman

I am particularly struck by the yellow and black one. I have seen it before and thought "Hmm not sure" but thats the one I keep remembering and coming back to. What kit is that one please?
Sorry did not see this question. All these are cigar kits. That one has brass braiding on it. From left to right, brass stainless, copper, and chrome mylar. Of all the ones I make I sell more chrome.

IMGP0583.JPG

jttheclockman

I found that using the plumbers flexible piping to be better to use. It is thinner and has a nice coating on it that keeps the metal bright even when casted. I cut with tin snips. After cast I sand on lathe as I do with all blanks of any material. Same goes for copper.

Top Bottom