Copper and Cholla

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BangleGuy

BangleGuy

I finally made it back into the shop tonight and finished a bangle that I had started a month ago. Shees! I will be glad when fall comes so I can let up on the yard work :)

This is a women's size 8 copper (wide) and alumilite potted cholla bangle. I finished it using CA and the foam wiper method with 8000 grit MM and polished with EEE. I sure like applying CA with crafters foam. (If you are out there Scott, Thanks for the tip on foam!).

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• tn_Cholla CU I.jpg
    tn_Cholla CU I.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 520
  • tn_Cholla CU II.jpg
    tn_Cholla CU II.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 554
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DHappold

Is there a specific crafters foam? I bought some sheets from the local Michael's crafts store and when I tried to use it found it stuck to my work instead of creating the slippery surface it was supposed to.:mad:

BangleGuy

I love the look of the Cholla and the Copper you done a great job Eric! at first i thought it was a ring, i haven't tried foam yet, i have been experimenting with toilet paper.:eek::rolleyes::biggrin:

OMG!:eek: I hope you are joking about toilet paper :) The crafter foam is great. It doesn't soak up the CA, then get hot and smoke. I use medium CA and it gives me plenty of time to spread the CA out evenly.

BangleGuy

Is there a specific crafters foam? I bought some sheets from the local Michael's crafts store and when I tried to use it found it stuck to my work instead of creating the slippery surface it was supposed to.:mad:

With the Medium CA, I have about 5 -10 seconds to get the CA all evened out. With the thin CA the cure time is much less and I have had the sticking problem before I can even out the CA.

I use about 8 drops of CA and allow it to form a little pool on the foam while the bangle is turning at the slowest RPM on my JET midi. After 3 applications, I bet I have a finish thickness of 0.010" to 0.015". This has eliminated my wet sanding through the CA (and a whole lotta cussing :at-wits-end:) LOL

dbarrash

What is crafters foam? Can you provide a link so I can see what you are talking about. Paper towel strips works good for me with Thin CA, however always looking for a good tip.
Thanks Dave

BangleGuy

What is crafters foam? Can you provide a link so I can see what you are talking about. Paper towel strips works good for me with Thin CA, however always looking for a good tip.
Thanks Dave

Here you go. I would recommend using medium and trying it out on a scrap piece. Add enough drops to sort of lubricate the foam wiper and build up a little pool on the wiper/blank interface, as the blank rotates slowly. It will only take 3 or 4 coats. let the CA dry well between applications. Accelerator works, but since the CA coating is much thicker, just be careful when spraying it on. It can cause dimpling ( or sort of an orange peel look) of the surface.

Amazon.com: Foam-Sheets 5-1/2-Inch-by-8-1/2-Inch, 50-Pack, Rainbow Colors: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Attachments

• Amazon.com Foam-Sheets 5-12-Inch-by-8-12-Inch, 50-Pack, Rainbow Colors Arts, Crafts & Sewing - G.jpg
    Amazon.com Foam-Sheets 5-12-Inch-by-8-12-Inch, 50-Pack, Rainbow Colors Arts, Crafts & Sewing - G.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 236
Top Bottom