CONTEST FOR THE TURNING CHALLENGED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

This contest is for those who are just starting out turning pens as well as those of who have been doing for a while, but just haven't mastered it yet. Here is a quick self assesment to determine if this contest if for you.
If I say "How is the Fit and Finish?" and your response is " Better than the Fat and Norwegion".

You're not quite sure what "outgassing" is, but you pretty sure if involves refried beans.

You wonder why California is the only state that gets a finished named after it.

The only reason you use a skew is to keep up on the latest swear words.

You've glued any part of your body to either yourself or anything your shop in the last month.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, this is your contest. So now that you have determined that this is indeed the contest for you. Here are the guildlines:
1. A Slimline or variant must be used for this contest. Basically if it has a 7mm tubes, a twist 7mm tranny, and two equal length tubes its eligble. This includes Creekline, Saturn, Funline, Streamline, and Trimline kits.

2. You may do no alterations to the kit. (No custom centerbands, No closed ends, No hidden clips)

3. To keep the playing field level.....
Wood Lathe - Yes
Metal Lathe - No
Ornamental Lathe - No
Rose Engine Lathe - No
CNC - Oh H#ll NO

4. Blanks for this contest must be:
  • Commercially available
  • Made by you from raw materials, where the work by you represents the majority of the work required to create the blank.
5. The pen cannot have been or be shown in any public forum (truck stop bathrooms included) before the contest is completed.

6. The deadline: Midnight God's Time ( also known as Mountain Time) August 23rd

7. To enter email up to 3 photos to D.Oliver.IAP@gmail.com. Please put Turning Challenged in the subject heading. Photos must be sized 800 x 600.

8. Pens will be voted upon by IAP membership. The criteria should be considered in both the making of the pen and voting should be:
  • WOW factor
  • Fit and Finish
  • Creativity
  • Difficulty
So there it is. Have some fun, talk a little trash, and make some pens.

Questions? Post them below or if you prefer PM me.​

ATTENTION ALL TURNING CHALLENGED TURNERS

PRIZES WILL BE
First Place.....from Exotic Blanks $50.00 Gift Certificate
Second Place ...from Robutacion $40.00 Gift certificate
Third Place ....from Smitty a package of pen kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed McDonnell

What if I wonder why Puerto Rico is the only US territory to have a casting material named after it? Why don't we have GU or AS blanks? Why do we use DCs to suck dust out of our shops when we all know that everything in DC just blows hot air??? Do these questions qualify me?

Or do I really have to glue a finger to my lathe and eat a can of beans for lunch to be able to enter this contest?

Ed

Who avoided the temptation to shamelessly promote a different contest in this thread by inserting some sort of sneaky link.

This is not a sneaky link. It will take you to another contest if you click it!!

mecompco

Oh Great and Wise One--when you say no metal lathes, does that pertain to turning/customizing components or ANY use of a metal lathe? I'll be turning on my wood lathe for the very first time today (thus qualifying for being among the Turning Challenged) but I do use the metal lathe for drilling and assembly. Kosher or not? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Ed McDonnell

Maybe Derek is trying to figure out if the fact that his wood lathe is made out of metal is a problem here.:rolleyes: Once he figures that out I'm sure he will answer your question.

Ed

Who thinks a metal lathe used to drill a blank isn't any different than a drill press.....but who isn't running this contest so has nothing to do with the rules...other than pointing out that a wood lathe that is made out of metal is really a metal lathe...at least in the world of the turning challenged.....:biggrin:

D.Oliver

Oh Great and Wise One--

I think you have me confused with someone else!:biggrin:

when you say no metal lathes, does that pertain to turning/customizing components or ANY use of a metal lathe? I'll be turning on my wood lathe for the very first time today (thus qualifying for being among the Turning Challenged) but I do use the metal lathe for drilling and assembly. Kosher or not? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

I'm going to side with Ed on this one (even though it feels wrong to do so:biggrin:). You may use you metal lathe for drilling. The actual turning must be done on the wood lathe, which may or may not be contructed from metal. Major style points will be awarded if your wood lathe is actually made from wood!

Last edited:

mecompco

Mucho gracias, Senior! I'm seeing that the wood turning lathe comes with a bigger learning curve than I thought (those guys on YT make it look easy). Made some chips today, at least. Need to learn to sharpen the tools. I'm afraid my first Slimline will be pretty crude beside what I can do on the old Atlas.

Appreciate the ruling--my 1.5x8 thread 4 jaw chuck won't fit on the HF 10x18 wood lathe, and I'm not sure the Chinese "1/2 HP" motor would even spin it up.

Regards,
Michael

LarryJB

I am pretty sure I qualify for this contest. I have turned a total of 5 pens in my entire 63 years on this earth. I'm not sure that I will enter however because I am pretty sure I would finish last or next to last. 353 entries and my entry would be the 352nd best. Anyway, I am also very new to this forum so I have a couple of questions.
1) Do you guys have these contests often?
2) Is there a prize for winning other than bragging rights? (not that actually matters to me, cause I wouldn't win)

I think the last thing I won was a bottle of booze in a ceramic donkey at an Elks Lodge raffle.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Larry,
You are the perfect candidate to submit a pen in this contest. Who cares if you win, enter anyway. Will you be worse off than not entering?
We hold contests like this twice a year currently. The SE and the Birthday Bash in February. There are prizes for First, Second, and Third places. Sometimes we have a prize for an entry drawn at random. Depends on how many prizes we have donated.
We also usually have a losers Train drawing, you acknowledge that you didnt win anything during the month of the contests and are a "Loser" :biggrin:eek:n the train. We take all the losers and randomly draw names for prizes to get people off the train.:biggrin:

The contests will help you try harder at making a better pen. Even if you dont win a prize you still push yourself to excel. Heck enter as many contests as you can. Whats the worst that can happen? Youll have fun, possibly learn something, and possibly even win something.
The only real way to lose is to not enter.

D.Oliver

Heck yeah you can enter! Part of the enjoyment of these contest are pushing the limits of you pen making skills and even if you don't win you'll enjoy the lively banter and if all else fails you could win a prize on the Loser Train drawing (though probably nothing as cool as a ceramic donkey full of adult beverage).

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Prizes have been posted in the Rules in the Original posting. Make sure you say thanks to out more than generous sponsors!

Titanium15

I am pretty sure I qualify for this contest. I have turned a total of 5 pens in my entire 63 years on this earth. I'm not sure that I will enter however because I am pretty sure I would finish last or next to last. 353 entries and my entry would be the 352nd best. Anyway, I am also very new to this forum so I have a couple of questions.
1) Do you guys have these contests often?
2) Is there a prize for winning other than bragging rights? (not that actually matters to me, cause I wouldn't win)

I think the last thing I won was a bottle of booze in a ceramic donkey at an Elks Lodge raffle.

Larry, I am really sorry to tell you this, but the last place in EVERY contest I have ever entered is reserved for me. EVERY ONE! It is a rule of the universe, and it cannot be broken. I am truly sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, but alas, we cannot go against the universe.
Thank you for your understanding and support. If you have any questions call 1-888- WHO- CARE(s) and the nice people on the end of the line, speaking in a language not of this world, will be happy to take all your information, drain you bank account, sell you a window and put some viruses on your computer. They also have, reserved just for you, the winning lottery ticket from some small heretofore unknown country, in the amount of $8 GAZILLION US DOLLARS, that the late dead head of the banking committee, your long lost uncle's brothers grandmothers hair dressers son's girlfriends sister, who works as a night guard at an office that has a law firm in the building, so you know it has to be legal, left you in their last will and testament.
Good luck, I will see you at the bottom of the contest :)
Stephen

I don't know if I have ever won something, I cannot tell you what I last glued in body parts, this is a family show after all, and the words that leak out of my mouth no one else knows because I need to make up new ones, the old ones are not enough when I screw up. Suffice to say when the skew touches my hand, the doctor gets some new stuff from my insurance company.

KenV

Hey!!!! Under the glue rule, I qualify!!!

Even at a one week time horizon.

I even have the ultimate glue removal tip----- go to the swimming pool for a long soak. Wrinkly skin sheds glue residue. Sauna does not work well. Hot tub helps.

Long hot shower gets rid of the last bits.

Skie_M

So .... if I built my own lathe out of oak and turned a slimline on it, would I put it in this contest here?

So confused ....

9Zg2b4Z.jpg

Yes, those are ZIP TIES with CORN DOG STICKS under them to provide tension on my tailstock.

Heck yeah you can enter! Part of the enjoyment of these contest are pushing the limits of you pen making skills and even if you don't win you'll enjoy the lively banter and if all else fails you could win a prize on the Loser Train drawing (though probably nothing as cool as a ceramic donkey full of adult beverage).

Wow ... that's one hell of a drunk ass ... :beer:

(note to moderators: an ass is defined as the sterile offspring of a horse and a donkey, or in other words, a mule.)

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Testing, Testing, is this thing on?
I have an important announcement to make.
Thanks to the generosity of the members and vendors here at IAP we will be adding a prize to be awarded in a random drawing from any non winning entries into this contest.

The random Prize for this contest is from brownsfan2, an Abalone blank set for the JR Gent sized pens. worth $50.00

Browncoat

A couple of questions:

1) Just to make certain that I'm in the right one, this is essentially the newbie contest, right? As in...I've turned exactly 5 pens, so this is the one I should enter?

2) In case I'm feeling saucy and decide to play with the big boys, are we able to enter more than 1 contest (with a different pen, of course)?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you fit the qualifications for this contest, self determined, you may enter it. If you also just want to enter the other contests because you can, yes you are allowed to do that also.

D.Oliver

A couple of questions:

1) Just to make certain that I'm in the right one, this is essentially the newbie contest, right? As in...I've turned exactly 5 pens, so this is the one I should enter?

It's not strictly for newbies, but they would definetly feel right at home in this contest.

2) In case I'm feeling saucy and decide to play with the big boys, are we able to enter more than 1 contest (with a different pen, of course?)

As long as that other contest is the Slimline Unlimited, than yes!:biggrin: I'm just kidding. You can enter any of the other contest also with a pen for each contest. Well maybe not the Youth Contest, depending on how old you are!

D.Oliver

D.Oliver

I was just answering some PM's regarding The Contest for the Turning Challenged and felt I needed to clarify rule 2, which states "You may do no alterations to the kit. (No custom centerbands, No closed ends, No hidden clips)" One of the questions I was asked was if a component (a centerband for example) could be omitted. The answer is NO. A component cannot be omitted. You must use all the compents. Thanks for the questions.

Sabaharr

I California glued my hand to my wife's ............ well let's just say she didn't appreciate having a debonding agent sprayed there. Does that qualify me?

D.Oliver

You may be overqualifed. You only had to glue a body part to yourself to be qualified, but you took to a whole new level and glued a body part to somebody else!

Skie_M

Let's just thank our lucky stars that she wasn't in the shop for some "quick hanky panky" during that "touching love scene that shall never separate a husband and wife" ...

"Well, baby I'm ... stuck on you, yes I'm ... stuck on you ... Well, I'm stuck to the dog and stuck to the cat and stuck to the parakeet too! Ever since I bought that tube of Instant Wonder Glue, everything's been stuck on me and I been .... Stuck on you!"

Top Bottom