Consistent Facet Width Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
24: Consistent Facet Width Jig
last post: 23- Pen Shaping: Wood/Nib Connection
pen24001.jpg

pen24009.jpg

I put together a simple measuring jig to ensure consistent distances between my router table and pen blanks while making faceted pens.
The Problem
I was shocked at how small differences in the distance between my pen blank and the router bit had BIG consequences. Two setups I thought were similar yielded one pen that felt too thin while another felt too fat.

Solution
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
I constructed a jig to help me set up the router fence consistently.
pen24002.jpg

Process
1. I turned two hard maple blanks to about 0.5"
pen24003.jpg

2. Each blank was transferred onto an octagonal cutting guide and I used my new measuring jig to set up the router table.
More info about the octagonal cutting guide found here and at the end of the post.
pen24008.jpg

The jig mimics the width of the pen that will be cut. The changes are subtle but affect the "feel" of the pen immensely.
pen24010.jpg

pen24009.jpg

3. Once both pieces are cut, they are returned to the lathe for cleanup.
pen24007.jpg

pen24006.jpg

pen24005.jpg

Summary
I'm usually not overly concerned with consistency: I like that no two pens I make are the same.
But I felt too little control over the wild differences in my pen widths and needed to address it.
This system gives me back the control I'm looking for. It's not "hyper-exact" but brings things back within a tolerance I find comfortable.
pen24004.jpg

3D Models
A usable version of the octagonal jig can be found here.
I'm also attaching a simplified version as well as the measuring jig inside an attached zip file. called OctagonJig.zip.
pen24011.jpg

Attachments

• pen24009.jpg
    pen24009.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 81
  • OctagonJigs.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 126
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

What are these?? Spacers?? Made from what. They look like slim line centre bands.
Lin

Attachments

• 48674DC9-5DAD-48D3-80F2-DB827C8D430E.jpeg
    48674DC9-5DAD-48D3-80F2-DB827C8D430E.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 93

Wmcullen

What are these?? Spacers?? Made from what. They look like slim line centre bands.
Lin
Hi Lin:
You nailed it. Since I usually try to make custom center bands out of scraps of wood I have an awful lots of the metal kit center bands laying around. I keep trying to figure out uses for them and spacers is about all I've come up with so far. Good eyes!
Cullen

KMCloonan

Amazing blend of engineering and art. I had never thought to use my router table to facet a blank. Now it makes perfect sense. Also an excellent demonstration of the utility of having a 3D printer. Maybe I can leave this post up on my screen in the hopes my wife will wander by, read it, and say "I think you should get a 3D printer"

Thanks for sharing Cullen!

lorbay

Hi Lin:
You nailed it. Since I usually try to make custom center bands out of scraps of wood I have an awful lots of the metal kit center bands laying around. I keep trying to figure out uses for them and spacers is about all I've come up with so far. Good eyes!
Cullen
I did this a few years back.
Lin

Attachments

• A90E1345-180F-4FF0-ADAF-0E5AD9E93BCD.jpeg
    A90E1345-180F-4FF0-ADAF-0E5AD9E93BCD.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom