Coloring Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankH

In responding in a thread by Mark James, I said
... I've now spent three days trying to make a Dive pen for my grand daughter (a very fitting pen). Without considering the potential for the tube to show through the Hot Pink Aquapearl blank, I just drilled the blank, glued in the tube and turned the blank Disaster! So I started over, painting a tube and the inside of the blank with pink acrylic paint. Next day: the tube would not fit into the blank so I drilled it out and glued it in with pink colored epoxy. I got carried away with adding paint to the epoxy so I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring. Sometime I learn from my mistakes.

I'm attaching a picture of the blank on my first try, and the finished pen after painting the tube, the inside of the blank,and the epoxy pink.
Diva.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice looking pen. You probably know this but on Amazon they sell a bunch of different Epoxy dyes. I use the System Three brand and it never seems to have any trouble. And one small bottle will probably last my life time as just a bit goes a long way.

magpens

@FrankH

WOW ! . . You can certainly claim success !! . Well done, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

magpens

Nice looking pen. You probably know this but on Amazon they sell a bunch of different Epoxy dyes. I use the System Three brand and it never seems to have any trouble. And one small bottle will probably last my life time as just a bit goes a long way.

Tom ....
Thank you for sharing this information. . I did not know about the dyes for Epoxy. . Good to know about this option. . I assume that there is a variety of colored dyes available.

Tom ....
Thank you for sharing this information. . I did not know about the dyes for Epoxy. . Good to know about this option. . I assume that there is a variety of colored dyes available.

There are Mal. Check out Amazon but typing in the search bar "Epoxy dyes". All kinds of colors and for different epoxies too. Glad I could help.

qquake

I just use cheap acrylic paint to color epoxy. Never had a problem with it. Walmart has a lot of different colors for 50 cents a bottle.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 159
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 154
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 145

howsitwork

Never tried it as I thought the acrylic being water based might not be compatible,with the epoxy but I think I'll experiment as just got some epoxy dies to use with aluminite. Also some acrylics which were for another project but there's some left .

qquake

Like I said, I've never had a problem with coloring epoxy with acrylic paint. I've done many, many pens this way.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg