Collet Chuck and Collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been giving my credit cards a workout this week, and I figure this is no time to stop. Might as well get something else on order before the packages start showing up and the uncomfortable questions start to get asked [}:)]

So, I want to get a collet chuck preferably I think threaded for my jet mini (1x8). Lee Valley has one for about 79 bucks that looks ok.

Am I right in thinking that a threaded one would be preferable, since I wouldnt have to worry about a draw bar, etc...

If you were going to get a new collet chuck and some collets, what would you get and from where?

I could swear I saw something about this recently, but cant find the topics for the life of me.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Try our member Charles Martin http://www.woodchipshome.com He has a good price on the Beall Chuck and collets. I haven't made the jump yet because I am considering a new lathe that will be threaded differently than my Carbatec.

Dario, find me a deal on the Jet 1236 lathe!! [:D]

hazegry

how does the collet work with the pen mandrel? do you put the mandrel in the collet or just the shaft? I havent seen one being used before. I have the adjustable one right now and I am less than satisfied with it.

rustym

I use the Beall collet and yes, the shaft of the mandrel goes in the collet. A 1/4" collet is great for the "A" size mandrel and I'm hoping a 5/16 collet will fit the "B" size mandrel. I'm not sure because I don't have a 5/16 collet yet. I do know that my "A" size collet runs truer in the collet then in the #2MT.
Hope this helps.

Rusty

Randy_

Originally posted by rustym
<br />.....I'm hoping a 5/16 collet will fit the "B" size mandrel......

Rusty: ER32 collets have a gripping range of about 1 mm or 0.0394". A 5/16" collet will have a gripping range of 0.273" to 0.312". The Berea "B" mandrel is 0.291" so it should fit just fine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom