Coffee Scoop in zebrawood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

jtate

coffeescoop.jpg

coffeescoopback.jpg

Spindle turned a ball on a stick, sliced it in half, chucked the ball in a jam chuck made from a piece of PVC pipe, hollowed out the bowl part of it, thus making it a scoop.

Comments?

Critiques are welcome.

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fuzzydog

Julia, there are two things I really like about you, one is that you love working with wood and the second is that your a dog person. (Who could not like the picture you have posted with your profile). The only problem with the coffe scoop is the back ground, you should send it to me and I'll let it live with a whole bunch of coffee grinds, (dry coffee grinds [B)]). On the serious side, I like your work and Merry Christmas.
David

Fred

Ain't it amazing as to how many folks will ponder for hours on how to make something like this. The solution is to think "round" then "Oh yea, "cut in half" ... Carefully I might add!

Julia, ya done very good ... :D

jtate

I had been trying for months to figure out how to get the ball actually round since I'm doing it by eye, not with a jig. I was pleased just to have figured this part out!

Then I had to think about how to saw it in half. I don't have a band saw and I had better sense than to try to saw it with the compound miter saw. I finally just stuck it in the vise and sawed it by hand. I'm getting some tremendous muscles in my sawing arm!

Now, I need to figure out how to make the handle a little prettier. I'm thinking I could mount it in a chuck, after I've turned the ball and handle in spindle form, then drill into the end and then hollow it out like a hollow-form turning. Then I could saw it in half. Or is that too much effort for just a coffee scoop?

Top Bottom