Coffee and Paprika Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
22: Coffee and Paprika Inlay
Inlay Station

last post: 21- Coffee Ground Spiral
post22.06.jpg
Using a router to dig trenches I've been making pens inlaid with materials like coffee and paprika.​
The Problem
My process involved CA glue and got sloppy. It needed some organization.

Solution
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
I constructed a "station" along with some simple tools.
post22.08.jpg

post22.07.jpg

Inlay Station

The wood blanks were held on 0.25" bolts. Since I make a few at a time, there is also a drying area.
post22.11.jpg

A few simple tools for pouring and packing powder material streamlined the process.
post22.10.jpg

Coffee "recipe"
I scooped used coffee grounds into a pyrex dish and microwaved for 20-30 seconds.
Poured out liquid, stirred and let dry.
Every few hours after that the dish was microwaved for 20-30 seconds and stirred.
Repeated until grounds were completely dry.
Paprika
Bought a big container at the Dollar Store.

Inlay Process
post22.09.jpg

Working in small sections, I put thin CA into the trench.
Poured coffee or paprika using funnels and tools.
Worked at a deliberate, but not rushed, pace.
Covered with more thin CA glue and packed down.
Repeated until the trench was filled and let dry.
Turned roughly to see how the material looked.
If I saw "caverns" the above steps were repeated.

Masking Tape
For this pen I used both coffee and paprika. Masking tape covered areas not being worked on.
Also, a little masking tape on the "spatula" end of this little tool made it somewhat reusable.
post22.12.jpg

Whereas these little packing tools were basically disposable.
post22.14.jpg

Summary
I appreciate everyone who has written about these versatile and thrifty inlay materials including Curly and robutacion.
It can be a messy process, but with some time the results can be satisfying.
post22.06.jpg

3D Model
I'm attaching the 3D model for anyone who has the ability and interest to print it.
I tried to be efficient with space so that everything prints within a small footprint.
The file is called InlayBox.zip which contains an .obj file
post22.15.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Cullen

Attachments

• inlayBox.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Wmcullen

I greatly admire your ingenuity !!!! . The results are very cool !!!

I'd be interested, please, in seeing the jig you use to hold your blank while routing .... particularly interested in the angled router cuts.

Wmcullen

I'd be interested, please, in seeing the jig you use to hold your blank while routing .... particularly interested in the angled router cuts.
Thanks for the note and question, Mal.
I used a custom twist jig which works like this:
To make this particular design I raised and lowered the blank onto the router at somewhat random distances.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great innovations again Cullen. I really like the detail you put into your jigs - a real asset to the IAP membership.

Only question and it is VERY important... Plain Paprika or Smoked Paprika (I typically favor Smoked Paprika). 🤣 🤣

MPVic

You kill me, Cullen with your outstanding ingenuity and creativeness - those 3D printed "jig works" are so very, very, clever. I so enjoy you sharing your work.
P.S. how's rehab going?

Wmcullen

Sorry. I model in Autodesk Maya software which does not have great stl export capabilities. I've done it, but the resulting geometry is either pretty awful or it just fails to export. I went back and tried with this file and got a 0K file (empty). The only hint I have for using the obj files is that when I bring it into my Cura software to make a gcode, I consistently need to scale the obj up by a factor of 10. And then everything works smoothly. I understand this may not be helpful since we all have our own particular software/printer setups.

Valin6210

Sorry. I model in Autodesk Maya software which does not have great stl export capabilities. I've done it, but the resulting geometry is either pretty awful or it just fails to export. I went back and tried with this file and got a 0K file (empty). The only hint I have for using the obj files is that when I bring it into my Cura software to make a gcode, I consistently need to scale the obj up by a factor of 10. And then everything works smoothly. I understand this may not be helpful since we all have our own particular software/printer setups.
Thanks for letting me know. I will try and bring the obj file into Cura to see what happens.

Top Bottom